Fontana, CA, USA

So, there always ends up being a "Directory" on the forums, but those never really work out, either its not easy to navigate (because its a huge list of cities and countries), or its not kept up because the original poster gets lazy.

So my suggestion is a google powered member map.

Simple as adding a membermap input box in your control panel, and on the registration form. Members put in their city, and state, or select them from drop down menus, then using google maps API, you automatically add them to the map. Of course, its not a required field, and also has a checkbox for hiding yourself.

Here is an article I found about it, I have faith in trash80's skills, so i doubt he would actually need to read this, but in case he wants something to build off of, here it is.

http://idratherbewriting.com/2007/02/08 … ogle-maps/

I'll be doing more research on member maps, and I will add any resources I find later on.

Canada

Bumping this to see if there's an interest for generating some kind of "Chipmusic around the world" google earth/maps database.

I think a lot of newer/non-performing users believe that the chipmusic community begins and ends with this website. I think it's very important/useful to show people where chipmusic exists... where artists are around the world. It'd be beneficial to see some sort of visual database like this become very populous in certain places (maybe New York), and thinner in others (India?). 

Most importantly, this could be extremely beneficial for networking in chipmusic (virtually and non-virtually). How cool would it be to have a visual like this as you're lining up a tour/festival? This would encourage new chipmusicians to get out there and perform, or give them some sort of visual representation of what their local chip community might look like. I think this could get people who don't see chipmusic as a communal/public thing to start thinking about it less-virtually. Who knows, maybe it'll be really surprising to see how much real support there is out there between artists/fans. It can be hard to memorize where your support comes from in different areas.

I don't quite know the first thing about setting something like this up. The page provided by OP has some dead links. Any thoughts about how to approach something like this as a serious project? It'd have to stretch beyond this website's member index, so anyone can contribute (not all chipmusicians are registered here). Maybe it'd be completely different from OP's post, but it's the same concept.

Last edited by Jansaw (Feb 1, 2014 9:23 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

There is one!

Canada

OH SHIII!! That's amazing. Google (my research methods) had failed me.
Thanks for the info Andrew! This is great.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

No worries bro! The map is compiled and edited by the Chiptunes=Win lot, so if you want to contribute I'd hit one of them up

Canada

Aaah sweet. Sounds good!

Sevilla, Spain

Nor the map or the list are editable, so how can I add all the artist I know in spain? =/

There's also been more maps and lists, I don't know why the heck we can't set one as the main source of knowledge.

Last edited by PaK-Zer0 (Feb 4, 2014 10:54 am)

Chicago

I'm pretty sure most everyone recognizes the chipwin list, the one Andrew linked, as the closest to complete, no?

Sevilla, Spain

I've seen previous efforts more complete, BUT only taking in count chipmusicians over europe, specially my local scene. This map looks rad and the only thing I can really complain about is that it's not editable.

Canada

It's not editable, but it run by a moderator. You have to email a request to be added to the map. There's a little question mark/Info button at the top of the map.

Boulder, CO

Apparently I live in Mass... I had no idea.

Sevilla, Spain
Jansaw wrote:

It's not editable, but it run by a moderator. You have to email a request to be added to the map. There's a little question mark/Info button at the top of the map.

Thanks smile I don't think that's the best way of running the map, but who knows, maybe they had spam problems or something.

UK, Leicester
theghostservant wrote:

I'm pretty sure most everyone recognizes the chipwin list, the one Andrew linked, as the closest to complete, no?

there was the one sycamore drive did, imo itd be better if all of the entries from sycamores were added to the chipwin map.

Canada

The one sycamore drive did is pretty intense. It has a lot of entries, but it really needs to be updated:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? … sp=sharing
If i had the time I'd work with chipwin to get this done, but uni is a killer right now.