I'm attempting to install the purple kitsch LED x3 backlight into my original Gameboy, I am following the instructions for it but whenever I place the backlight onto the area in which I have used rubbing alcohol to remove the adhesive it forms a black blob almost as if the backlight is still sticking to the screen.

I booted it up like this and it was almost impossible to see the screen. Once taken apart again I scrubbed the area again but that didn't appear to make any difference and it still stuck to the glass.

I would like to know firstly if this is a common problem and how to get around it and secondly how clear does the glass need to be before its suitable for use with a backlight?

Any help would be appreciated, I can try and upload pictures if it will help anyone!

J3wel

matt's mind

pictures would help a lot,

did you let the alcohol dry completely before putting in the backlight?  it might be the surface tension (or whatever) causing the two pieces to hold together isn't letting the rest evaporate

also, black blobs on the screen might be an indication you cracked it.  so, pictures would help a lot

I have figured it out it seems one of the layers did not come off when removing the old polarising layer.

Katsumbhong helped me out in the end and its now all sorted!

Newbie errors, if this thread could be deleted that'd be great!

Cheers though!

kitsch wrote:

pictures would help a lot,

did you let the alcohol dry completely before putting in the backlight?  it might be the surface tension (or whatever) causing the two pieces to hold together isn't letting the rest evaporate

also, black blobs on the screen might be an indication you cracked it.  so, pictures would help a lot

Alabama

Let's not delete the thread, if someone has a similar problem later we can link them to it without having to re-explain ourselves wink best of luck