Hey everyone! So, I'm in a full band (Guitar, Bass, Drums) and I'm trying to figure out if there is anyway to sync our gameboy to some sort of metronome click track or something that our drummer can listen to on his headphones but that wouldn't be heard through out PA system? Right now we just have constant chiptune parts playing so we don't lose time but we would love to have just parts where it's just the instruments. Any help?

Unsubscribe

You can do this audio click track or a visual one. With an arduinoboy, the gameboy can be clock master and control devices like:

a drum machine with audio out for the drummer out clicking to lsdj clock
a strobe light that will pulse to the beat from lsdj
a device like:
http://lasermetronome.com/

Matthew Joseph Payne

What the prof said. ALSO:

As a chiptune band drummer, I've always used in-ear monitors with a direct gameboy signal to great effect. You learn what elements of the music to listen to. If there are a ton of places in the music with no indication of time, do one of the things that have been suggested.

I've also always wondered if it would be possible to modify the arduinoboy software to output a click track directly from the arduinoboy. I know that the arduino has been used for sample playback before, so it shouldn't be that hard, right?

Unsubscribe

Yea well the aboy already flickers an LED to tempo, so you just need to hook that to something instead of a LED that makes a CLICK sound?

The drummers ive worked with who had a hard time playing to the gameboy usually prefered a simple click at the tempo they should be playing with, and hard a real hard time adjusting to dmg groove.

If you want to keep it simple, you can make some sort of mute switch for the gameboy to have it just send the gameboy click to the drummer and mute the house when playing. The drummer can turn the house feed off or on as they want.

Last edited by herr_prof (Feb 13, 2014 8:07 pm)

Alabama

Guys. Link cable goes to second Gameboy with LSDJ cart, sending a tick created on one of the channels. Not hard to make a faux 2xLSDJ setup work this on a budget.

Unsubscribe

Haha yea thats a good one too. The main problem is that link cables are super short, so the drummer would have to be in charge of the gameboy.

Alabama
herr_prof wrote:

Haha yea thats a good one too. The main problem is that link cables are super short, so the drummer would have to be in charge of the gameboy.

Not necessarily. 10 ft 1/8" cable and a competent guitarist or bassist could help. (lolz)

Unsubscribe

also i find the gameboy headphones arent nearly loud enough to hear on a stage, so youd have to add a mixer or amplifier to the mix.

I have thought about syncing a 2nd gameboy and about boosting the signal. I just wanted to see if there was a more practical and more economic route. Thanks everyone!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Yes, we tried the 2xLSDJ thing and once we'd added a headphone amp to make it work, we realized we may as well have something that allows us to add other signals in anyway...