Unsubscribe

The bassline synth and the vocal effects demos arent that impressive top me, and the tron looks are pretty cheesy. I know the demos are going after a specific buyer, but the models suffer from the thing that every modeling synth suffers from, in that they sound like a record and not live output from the device. Holding our for some more extra nasty demos once real people have them though.

Finland

^ what he said.  My main hope is that TR8 maybe brings down the price of Acid Lab Miami (probably not). TB3 is throwaway for me with its touch pad,WTF were they thinking? That synth, hard to say, but market is full of really cool analogs, virtual analogs and everything else in pretty cheap price.

Also, these things are super fucking ugly.

Rochester, NY
DKSTR wrote:

^ what he said.  My main hope is that TR8 maybe brings down the price of Acid Lab Miami (probably not).

with the release of the TR-8, what makes you think you need the Miami (for twice the price)?

TB3 is throwaway for me with its touch pad, WTF were they thinking?

you're sounding quite ignorant here, typical for this place i guess.

Unsubscribe

The acidlab is a faithful reproduction of a very specific instrument with an extremely boutique build process that is reflected in the price. Unless they found a way to engage china fab with smd priting i doubt their prices will ever come down.

Jbuonacc- these kind of synths are 60/40 sound design/ui, so based on the demos I think there is nothing wrong with taking a wait and see on this before getting all lathered. DKSTR is one of the more "professional" artists on this forum in terms of what he has done with his music, so I think his opinions carry a little weight to them, but its nothing to be calling people names over.

Milwaukee, WI
DKSTR wrote:

TB3 is throwaway for me with its touch pad, WTF were they thinking?

jbuonacc wrote:

you're sounding quite ignorant here, typical for this place i guess.

Key words being *for me*. But fuck him for having an opinion, right? Visit gearslutz for a healthy dose of ignorance.

I agree. These things are ugly as sin and the touch pad is pretty dumb. D-beam kind of dumb.

Rochester, NY

anyone saying that the touchpad on the TB-3 is "dumb", etc sounds like the people that said the same about the crossfader on the Elektron Octatrack. dissing what is probably the most interesting feature of the OT out of plain ignorance because they didn't understand how it might be used.

please explain to me how the standard mini 1-octave keys layout of the original might have possibly been an advantage here, taking up the same space for one or two functions. the touchpad offers several different uses, which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

serious questions - how the hell is is "throwaway for me with its touchpad" or even "D-beam kind of dumb"? you guys sound just like the rest of the 12-year-olds around here.

Rochester, NY
herr_prof wrote:

The acidlab is a faithful reproduction of a very specific instrument with an extremely boutique build process that is reflected in the price. Unless they found a way to engage china fab with smd priting i doubt their prices will ever come down.

a faithful reproduction that isn't faithful enough for most anyone to buy it. speaking of ugly as fuck, the Miami's got that down pretty well. i think there's very few people that would pick a Miami now over the TR-8.

these kind of synths are 60/40 sound design/ui, so based on the demos I think there is nothing wrong with taking a wait and see...

what do you mean "these kind of synths"? you already brought up the MC-303, so i'm not sure if you're comparing the TR-8/TB-3 to something of that caliber? (MC-303/505/909, RM1X/RS7000, etc...) is that right?

none of those sounded or acted anywhere near as close to the originals as these do. i had no interest in these new Roland boxes until i saw what they actually were and listened to the demos.

DKSTR is one of the more "professional" artists on this forum...

yeah, i totally feel that from his posts.

based on what i've seen, his opinion carries no weight with me.

Milwaukee, WI

You are obviously:

A) Working for Roland

B) On the defense

C) Mad bro

Lighten up and let people have their opinions.

Unsubscribe
jbuonacc wrote:

what do you mean "these kind of synths"? you already brought up the MC-303, so i'm not sure if you're comparing the TR-8/TB-3 to something of that caliber? (MC-303/505/909, RM1X/RS7000, etc...) is that right?

Yea i mean groovebox type workstations, but also the old tr and tb synths of yesteryear, and even the mpc. People like the sounds, but I think the interface plays a big part in how successful a synth is at making a successful instrument.

For one Id love to see modeled drum machine that goes even farther than the tr/sampler/rompler paradigm and get really into physical drum modeling and drum synthesis for a new approach to synthesizer, but with that super assessable x0x interface.

Unsubscribe
jbuonacc wrote:

serious questions - how the hell is is "throwaway for me with its touchpad" or even "D-beam kind of dumb"? you guys sound just like the rest of the 12-year-olds around here.

It feels gimmicky, but who knows maybe in usage its really intuitive. The d-beam sounded like a really good idea too until you where all waving all dramatically for crappy control.

Unsubscribe
Vile wrote:

Haha now *THATS* the kind of guy who is their target audience.

Rochester, NY
herr_prof wrote:

Yea i mean groovebox type workstations, but also the old tr and tb synths of yesteryear, and even the mpc. People like the sounds, but I think the interface plays a big part in how successful a synth is at making a successful instrument.

you lost me there. these things sure look like they have the sound and the interface (minus a few things) that everyone is paying thousands of dollars for. as far as strict 808/909/303 emulation, there's really nothing else out there in this price range. nor has there ever been.

For one Id love to see modeled drum machine that goes even farther than the tr/sampler/rompler paradigm and get really into physical drum modeling and drum synthesis for a new approach to synthesizer, but with that super assessable x0x interface.

uhh... the Elektron Machinedrum was released in 2001. the "A-I" and "EFM" machines are pretty interesting. i don't think you're going to see much more of an advanced synthesis drum machine any time soon, just sequence a multi-timbral synth module from something else.

It feels gimmicky, but who knows maybe in usage its really intuitive. The d-beam sounded like a really good idea too until you where all waving all dramatically for crappy control.

this is not a D-Beam, or a Kaoss Pad.

check these videos if you're interested (and haven't seen them yet):

TB-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqNiXtqjACY

TR-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Ol1_qOI_g

Last edited by jbuonacc (Feb 16, 2014 4:16 am)

Unsubscribe
jbuonacc wrote:

you lost me there. these things sure look like they have the sound and the interface (minus a few things) that everyone is paying thousands of dollars for. as far as strict 808/909/303 emulation, there's really nothing else out there in this price range. nor has there ever been.

Interface maybe, but I have to play one in person to find out. As I stated earlier, the sounds I am hearing really arent doing it for me.

uhh... the Elektron Machinedrum was released in 2001. the "A-I" and "EFM" machines are pretty interesting. i don't think you're going to see much more of an advanced synthesis drum machine any time soon, just sequence a multi-timbral synth module from something else.

Im thinking more physical models, like dialing in a analog bass drum and blend that with synthesis or sampled modules. Not a big fan of machinedrum sounds ive heard either, but the interface is really great.

Gosford, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

like xoxos' modelled drum VSTs or microtonic in a groovebox with analog components?

Unsubscribe

Yea with a little BFD style stuff thrown in as well

Earth

I will reserve judgement until I hear a non-YouTube version of the TB-3. Analog simulation is pretty good these days. I would expect that Roland could get the subtleties of the original filter and osc, if anyone could. Not too excited for this though.