Hello, I think this is the right forum to post this in?

I haven't finished my mod yet, I need to buy some more wire before I add the hex inverter chip, but I've got the backlight kit from Handheldlegend installed in a big fat DMG (original gray) and I'm not sure if I've done it correctly; I think the case is putting pressure on the screen. The case bulges ever-so-slightly, and the screen cover popped loose. I haven't had much luck trying to find solutions online, but I did find a different tutorial that showed that their white LCD ribbon was lying on top of the white plastic frame, while mine was half tucked underneath it (the way Nintendo had it). Changing that helped a lot, but it's still not quite fitting. Right now I just have the screws very loose and the unit unassembled until I figure out what to do.

Any help would be awesome.

Please excuse any crazy English I may have typed, I've been awake for about 26 hours =)

Douglas, Wyoming

Well I'm not expert but when I did mine it was a tight fit as well. I believe that's how they fit and is why in the online guides it's advised not to screw the case on too tightly

Ah. The guides I looked at didn't mention that, the HHL one just says "DO NOT put too much pressure on the PCB and or the backlight."

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

United States

I haven't seen a guide that says that, but I found out pretty quickly you want it a bit looser then factory sealed. You'll get black marks on your LCD because PINs are touching screen causing temporary LCD Leaking effects.

All the back lights I've bought from Nonfinite seem to be pretty thin. The v5 didn't feel snug, I think they did a good job on that sizing. Just an FYI.

Last edited by John Riselvato (Feb 16, 2014 1:57 pm)

Cut the plastic screen surround out. it's how I do all of them

Unsubscribe

Last edited by herr_prof (Feb 16, 2014 3:59 pm)

12ianma wrote:

Cut the plastic screen surround out. it's how I do all of them

I thought about that, but I don't know what I would replace it with to keep the screen bits from bouncing around inside.

San Diego

I looked at the tutorial from handheldlegends website. I have a few if not obvious suggestions. Make sure that the plastics around the screen are firmly snapped back in (duh right). If you did the wires the same as they did I'd also say that you should cut them down enough to not have to tuck them through the board. You don't need them that long and they could possibly be pushing against something and causing your issues. On the wires possibly causing pressure you may need to trim the cuts you made on the plastics a bit more (without seeing how yours look I'm just going down a list of possibilities). There were also some little foam pieces behind the screen that needed to be removed. Umm.....that covers most of the things.....anyone else?

NYC

I've done quite a few of these, & they all had some pressure on the screen, some worse than others.  Sometimes, dark spots can be seen in the corners of the screen.  Maybe the new ones fit a little better now like JOHN RISELVATO said???  I even got 1 or 2 that were manufactured backwards for some strange reason, in that the wires were sticking down into the plastic holder instead of up over it.  I had to trim the middle of the plastic holder down with some wire cutters so the wires could sit in there with the backlight all the way down.

Unfortunately, the case will always bulge out a little.  It can't really be helped.  You could try using some digitizer tape on the sides of the plastic screen protector to hold it down.  That stuff is really strong.  And like others mentioned, try not screwing in certain screws near the screen too tight.  Even on the motherboard too.  Leaving some of them loose might help a little, though probably not completely.

Alright, thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not, since I didn't see any other mention of it.

Just curious, does the Pocket have the same issue? I don't have a Pocket (yet?), just wondering.

Going to try to stop at Radio Shack today, if I have time and the weather permits. Can't wait to get this mod finished, it looks pretty awesome so far with the inverted polarizer, and I just happen to have a 74LS04 chip from a kit from one of my college electronics classes.

TX
John Riselvato wrote:

All the back lights I've bought from Nonfinite seem to be pretty thin. The v5 didn't feel snug, I think they did a good job on that sizing. Just an FYI.

I've used a v3 and a v5; the v3 is very snug, similar to what others are reporting, but the v5 fits in there beautifully.

Well now I can't get the two halves to fit back together neutral Not sure if I used too much wire for the hex-inverter or what...I used some PC ribbon cable for it, and grounded all the unused inputs (which a few people commented should be done). It doesn't look too bad, but there are a few wires occupying the same space as the ribbon cable that connects the two halves of the GB...

Radio Shack surprisingly didn't have any wire thinner than what you would use for car audio, so I guess I'll have to find some online neutral I really wouldn't be surprised if they went out of business soon, almost every other part I was looking for was out-of-stock.