Yo, Last night i was using my 32m ems cart with LSDJ, and the LCD screen turned off out of nowhere - but the power LED stayed on.

I tried it with other regular game cartridges, and they still turned off, but relatively longer than it took for the 32M cart.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1Od-dOLeM

The first part is of the 32M flash cart, the LCD screen turning off moments after. The second part is with a pokemon red cart, unintentionally staying on the Nintendo screen, and the third part is of the screen shutting off with the pokemon cart (This, LoZ, and Tetris both took longer than the flash cart to turn off.

I read another post similar to this, and was thinking that the issue could be regarding the ribbon cable?

Thanks, fam. smile

damn, no help at all? No type of hypothesis? No possible solutions? Okay, i see ya'll.

matt's mind

have you tried putting in fresh batteries?

Kitsch the gawd!! No, I have not. I also thought that was a possible source, but I put in batteries like 2/3 weeks ago, and i havne't been on the gameboy for that long.
   Although, I recently installed a backlight; would that drain the batteries so quickly?

P.S, I bought a dmg replacemtn screen a couple weeks ago and it didn't fit. It was too big, and started unsticking on the right side due to forming a bend. Oh well sad

matt's mind

i'd say try fresh batteries for sure!  its not really an issue the backlight has drained them super quickly or anything.  but, consider that you just added some new electronics to your console, which will require power to work.  it might just be the backlight was enough to tip the batteries over their usefulness

if that doesn't work, post a picture of your soldering work!  thats the next best thing to try to sort out

I changed 3 out of the 4 batteries because that's all I have currently and the campus store is closed until tomorrow. But it worked, so I think it was the batteries.
   I made sure the soldering was okay when I did the, so I'm pretty sure that won't be the cause. I was worried that any internal issue was going to be due to something with the ribbon cable, which would've sucked.

Thanks, man.

NYC

The problem may be somewhere with the backlight wiring.  It would be best to open up the Gameboy & double check all connections now.  Check to make sure that the wires are soldered on good, & not loose or barely touching in any way.  Also, make sure that connections aren't touching each other.  Examine any new solder points & make sure that they aren't touching anything else that they could short circuit as well.  This includes when you close the case.  As you are closing it & putting it back together, make sure that any solder blobs aren't so big that they'll touch something they're not supposed to when you close the 2 halves together.

Another thing to do is to clean the battery contacts.  You can actually pop them out of the case to soak them in battery cleaner or something, though you don't absolutely have too.  Make sure you scrape the surfaces that touch the batteries clean, even if you do or don't soak them in cleaner as well.  Feel free to test it before you even do anything.  Does the system short out like that if you touch, or even spin the batteries in place, while it's on???  Then you definitely need to clean the contacts.  This includes the tops of the springs as well.

BTW, don't worry about slow responses.  On forums like this, it usually takes much time to get a response, sometimes even a day or 2, because not everybody is online all the time, especially somebody who would know specifically about your concern.  A display of quick frustration will definitely attract the trolls.  Do not invite them your way.  Trolls are everywhere.  ^_^

Thanks, dude. I'll check out the battery contacts and the soldering/wiring when I get back home where my tools are. And i wasn't being frustrated; I post on other non-electronic forums, so I guess I just brought it over haha

Peace and love to you all, chiptune fam heart heart

Last edited by naranjomi (Feb 19, 2014 8:07 am)

NYC

Yeah man.  big_smile big_smile big_smile

I think you should definitely clean the contacts anyway.  These old things usually get some corrosion on them after so many years.  Rubbing alcohol can also help alongside scraping them clean.  Alcohol is good for cleaning electronic parts, & it evaporates right away too.