At the moment I have multiple projects on the go at once and often find myself stuck, unable to work out how to prioritise them and the best way to be productive in all of them.

Currently I am in a band, write chiptune music, run my own clothing brand and teach karate on top of my job.

I just wanted to hear your opinions on what you feel the best way to cope multiple ongoing projects is and how to ensure you can be productive in all of them whether its through serious planning of just finding every spare second you can to do something?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

J3wel

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Literally the only way I have found it is possible to juggle as much as I do is to keep notes of EVERYTHING that needs done and is being done. A page a project in a notebook, set deadlines for small individual tasks that break down bigger projects into smaller do-able nuggets. Also if you're feeling overwhelmed, taking a smattering of these small individual tasks and organising them into a weekly to do list may make the work seem lesser, whilst in reality you're slowly working forward on everything at once.

Good Luck!
~~~~~~~X~~~~~~~

Taichung, Taiwan

Word. Get a planner/organizer and schedule all your stuff.

Rhode Island

I tried something recently that ended up working for me. I also had a lot of projects and hobbies but was having trouble making progress on any of them. I ended up setting aside days of the week that would restrict me from working on certain ones. So, monday, for instance, would be a no modern technology day and i would have to focus on the projects that didnt require that. Mainly, i would end up reading a lot more which was part of the goal. Tuesday would be music day which i would have to do one of the many music things i've been working on. And so on. It worked for me.

Cheers guys for all the thoughts! I've been meaning to get a planner for ages so it seems that'll be what I need to do!

matt's mind

make a list!  prioritize, considering the time it take to complete each project, and just make out a list of goals and due dates for them, and get crunching

your problems are totally my own, its awful being unorganized.  and thats really the trick.  just get organized the best you can, set a list of priorities, and make adjustments if needed but otherwise just push through it.  you'll catch up in no time

also, caffeine.

IL, US

i usually let them all pile up and then just work nonstop for about a week until everything is either done or cancelled. pretty sure there are better ways

King's Lynn, UK

I have exactly the same problem. I've just been chipping away at bits here and there when I can. With music in particular though, I find that when I've had to take a bit of a break, I don't like the ideas I had before anymore.

All my projects are posted up on a cork board next to my bed, so I can remind myself of what needs doing. I've been bad lately though and been adding to the list more quickly than I can tick things off.

Youngstown, OH

I'm trying to juggle composing for games, going to school full-time, recording with my band, and working late nights as a stagehand with a local production company. I keep notes on my desktop with things I still need to write for games, and I keep track of work days/nights when I'm scheduling recording, and I honestly often skip my morning classes because I'm too tired from work. Then my day goes catching the afternoon classes, maybe working on one track for a game, maybe eating like two pieces of pizza and taking a power nap, drinking some coffee before heading to work. etc. etc. Obviously I'm not a productivity guru right now but I just take it one day at a time and as long as I have the passion for all this work, I'll get through at least most of it. Still learning, though.

Also, seriously pencil in personal time. If you have a girlfriend/wife/partner/whatever, make that time happen. If you're with the right person, aside from the obvious perks of being in a loving and committed relationship, you are a team with a goal in mind for the future and having that person will likely make you more productive in the long run. I know my girlfriend takes up much of my personal/creative time, but strangely enough I've found it's made me value my time more, and you'd be surprised what a little change like that does for you. Makes you only take on jobs/projects that matter.