CA

Hello there,

I'm working (well, rather thinking, I haven't actually started yet) on a DMG with clear shell, LEDs and soundlights (aside from other stuff like pitch and prosound). Naturally I'd like to save some space, because soundlights PCB although quite small but not enough to fit in the shell as is. Evident solution of course is to put mods in (or instead of) the battery compartment. I don't want to ditch the batteries completely though.

I was thinking to put a LiPo cell inside, but... 1) Small cells have 500maph and less I don't think it will provide any good battery life 2) Other cells are much bigger than the compartment so that I'm gonna need to remove it. But then it'll be tricky to fix everything in place (except for glueing it but I wan't to keep things 'removable').

So far I have two solutions in mind. First - cylindrical LiPo cell which is also too big for the compartment but in this case I can get away with only drilling a hole. I'm not sure it will fit vertically (cylindrical LiPo cell is 65mm long) so it's gonna be horizontal but in this case it will partially fill the empty space on the side of the shell where 1/4'' prosound or part of PCB could go. But I guess I could go with 1/8'' pro sound and place it on the front plate...

Second option is replacing the '+' battery contact on the PCB next to its negative counterpart and thus making it powered by 2 AAs instead of 4. But it's gonna be just 3V of power and with all the mods I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea.

I'm sure lots of you guys had the similar issue, do you have any advice for that?

Bottom line I'll get rid of batteries completely (but I'm not favouring this otion). Thanks!

Czech republic

Check this
I was thinking about powering DMG with 9V battery which would save half of the battery compartment for mods. Not sure about battery life tho.

CA

I've seen this one and 9V could cause display problems. I'm thinking more of cylindrical LiPo cell...