Cincinnati, OH

I'm looking to frontlight a Game Boy Color using a light from an ags-001.
Can I get by without using a resistor or should I get one? If so, which resistor should I get?

Alabama

Resistor helps a ton. Get the 47kOhm variant.

Taichung, Taiwan

Get resistor.

Taichung, Taiwan

47 ohm

CA

People usually go with 47 ohm, but it's the matter of taste. I think that with 47 ohm it's still too bright and the picture is a little bit blurry. As for having a resistor for safety reasons... there are people who didn't use one and AFAIK nobody has burned the frontlight panel so far.

But it's always safer to use one!

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan

I know a person who blew out their power switch fuse from not using a resistor.

Cincinnati, OH

Thanks guys!

CA
katsumbhong wrote:

I know a person who blew out their power switch fuse from not using a resistor.

Interesting... But as a rule of thumb it's safer to use one.

Hartlepool, UK

Yeah always use a resistor if something doesn't have one built in already. Essentially the resistor acts as a little shield for any minor peaks in voltage as it hits the resistor first leaving a smoother and more consistent power delivery to the installed item and more importantly its less likely to go over the installed items maximum operating voltage.

Shaun

Cincinnati, OH

Wait. So I just installed it and it didn't come on with a 47k...
I just heard though from a youtube video (I'm sure you know which one) NOT to use a 47k and to just go with a 47. Is this true or is my front light broken? Also while trouble shooting I switched the wires on the backlight just in case they weren't connected properly. Would this fry it? I'd really appreciate the help!

Cincinnati, OH

DAMN YOU MAX!!! jk
It was the resistor. For now it's connected without a resistor so I'll have to get one here soon. It turned out good!

Taichung, Taiwan

You have to get a resistor separately. It was designed for the sp, not the gbc.

Michigan
DMGer wrote:

DAMN YOU MAX!!! jk
It was the resistor. For now it's connected without a resistor so I'll have to get one here soon. It turned out good!

Hahah....47k.:P

Cincinnati, OH

Okay... One last question.
When I turn the front light on (I don't leave it on for more than 5 seconds due to fear of it burning out.) without a resistor it gets bright like an SP then it slowly fades away to where you can barely see it. Would the resistor fix this? I should also add that the first time I tried it it was normal like what I'd expect.

Last edited by DMGer (Feb 26, 2014 10:07 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan

Put in a resistor.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Feb 26, 2014 10:27 pm)

Alive and well in fucksville

It needs a 47 ohm resistor (gbc).
62 ohms if your trying to do a dmg.

Last edited by bitjacker (Feb 26, 2014 11:25 pm)