California

Hey fellow chippers! A friend of mine let me borrow 'the musician's guide to theory and analysis' It's a big ol' textbook on music theory. I'm posting (possibly in the wrong place, sorry for that) to see which parts of this book are going to be the most beneficial specifically for making chiptunes. Thanks! big_smile

any music theory at all will help you with making any kind of music. musical theory can be confusing as hell at times so starting with the most basic and easily remembered lessons. it's also a little easier to learn if you play an instrument to apply said lessons to, but that's just my opinion man

Boulder, CO

All of it? Music is music.

You should also check out Michael New's music theory lessons on youtube. Currently learning from those (because I don't have any music theory knowlege whatsoever), and it's actually helping me quite alot.

California

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll have to look into the vids! big_smile
Also; Adam: this book is 4 years of music theory in one textbook, although I'd like to read through it, it would be good to know what parts to look at first and such. Thanks anyway though.

Boulder, CO
T3chn0ph1l3 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll have to look into the vids! big_smile
Also; Adam: this book is 4 years of music theory in one textbook, although I'd like to read through it, it would be good to know what parts to look at first and such. Thanks anyway though.

Just saying that none of it will be specific to chip music. What do you want to learn about music as a whole?

Alive and well in fucksville

What has held me back is key signatures. I habitually seek out songs in the key of c major.do not get in to this habit. The cool thing about LSDJ is that you can just transpose stuff with a command (if you sing in a certian key you can match songs to suit your range). Reading lots of music (not so much memorization of specific songs tho) will help you. If you have a ds with homebrew stuff on it, i recommend ds solfege ( it quizzes you on reading notes on the staff).
learn chord structure and make mental notes on which scales match which kind of chord, with this you can compose melodies using only notes from the scale or chord that is written above the staff of the sheet music you are reading. after the 1,000th piece of music of your choice is made into a chiptune, you will be able to hear notes in your head as you see sheet music.
I guess bela bartok's mikrokosmos (there are 6 books) is really the best lesson (or so my uncle says) if you are learning to play keys. you cant just learn a couple of things and be nullsleep. put in years.

Taichung, Taiwan
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

All of it? Music is music.

New Albany Indiana

I thought there would actually be music theory here.

Indiana

memorize the circle of fifths!

IL, US
Bit wish wrote:

I thought there would actually be music theory here.

yep, this sections is actually meant for when people are sharing info, not asking for it... this would be more of a general discussion topic