Memphis, TN

So yeah, pretty straight forward. I'm just wondering what you guys prefer as a debut release.
I get that you personally have only ever released one debut release, but out of all of the debuts you have heard what leaves the best impression? A single, so you get just a taste; an EP so that you get a few songs to weigh as a whole, or a whole album?

Is there just a unanimous preference that I am missing, or is it just personal preference?

IL, US

i'd say take your time. a long time. and when youve waited months, wait a little more. then let the length of the release be determined by what tracks you really like still, months after youve finished them.
you really only have one shot at a first release, better to make it count rather than put it out before youre sure. no harm in dropping demo tracks or whatever here or on soundcloud first, just wouldnt call it a "release" at that point.
total play time of an album isnt really important, if the tracks are good and sound good together.

Unsubscribe

I think the concept of release cycles are way different than even a few years ago. As a social artist I think the keys are

1. MAKE lots of music. Feel free to share good songs or even WIPS on forums and your social media like vine, twitter, soundcloud. Document the process.
2. Contribute to Comps. Share streaming versions of the song on your social sites for double dip exposure.
3. Once you have many songs, consider releasing an EP. It should be mostly new, but dont be afraid to re-release songs you like from 1,2, this is a more serious release for you and says to people THIS IS WHAT KIND OF ARTIST I AM.
4a. If you have enough songs to do so, play shows. This will drive the following steps.
4b. If you have enough songs or work quickly, try to do soundtrack work or get on more comps. Same as a.
5. Once you have a good number of songs under your belt and have demand for shows or work, consider putting out an album. Albums can suck on the internet because you get the same amount of attention as 3, but with 2-3x the amount of work. You might do better with 3 eps versus one album, with singles peppered in-between. An album can be a compilation of singles and EPs, and be a good way to get more coverage out of work youve already finished, or single a completion or new change of a direction in your artistic development.
6. An album makes more sense, however, with physical releases. Youll be selling these a long time so make sure its your absolute best material to date. Consider bundling it for free with stickers, toys, or shirts. It helps if you play shows at this point to move this stuff.
7. Do NOT leverage yourself into making physical items unless you have money to burn or the demand to consume it. Stay digital as long as possible so you put all your resources into the music, and be ready to make the physical jump when it makes sense for you.

Last edited by herr_prof (Feb 27, 2014 7:45 pm)

Nottingham, UK
herr_prof wrote:

I think the concept of release cycles are way different than even a few years ago. As a social artist I think the keys are

1. MAKE lots of music. Feel free to share good songs or even WIPS on forums and your social media like vine, twitter, soundcloud. Document the process.
2. Contribute to Comps. Share streaming versions of the song on your social sites for double dip exposure.
3. Once you have many songs, consider releasing an EP. It should be mostly new, but dont be afraid to re-release songs you like from 1,2, this is a more serious release for you and says to people THIS IS WHAT KIND OF ARTIST I AM.
4a. If you have enough songs to do so, play shows. This will drive the following steps.
4b. If you have enough songs or work quickly, try to do soundtrack work or get on more comps. Same as b.
5. Once you have a good number of songs under your belt and have demand for shows or work, consider putting out an album. Albums can suck on the internet because you get the same amount of attention as 3, but with 2-3x the amount of work. You might do better with 3 eps versus one album, with singles peppered in-between. An album can be a compilation of singles and EPs, and be a good way to get more coverage out of work youve already finished, or single a completion or new change of a direction in your artistic development.
6. An album makes more sense, however, with physical releases. Youll be selling these a long time so make sure its your absolute best material to date. Consider bundling it for free with stickers, toys, or shirts. It helps if you play shows at this point to move this stuff.
7. Do NOT leverage yourself into making physical items unless you have money to burn or the demand to consume it. Stay digital as long as possible so you put all your resources into the music, and be ready to make the physical jump when it makes sense for you.

That's some sensible shit right there.

Indiana

singles should be released sparingly imo

i think teaser tracks serve the same purpose without cluttering a discography and making your substantial releases hard to find for new fans

Last edited by Fudgers (Feb 27, 2014 10:22 pm)

Unsubscribe

I should mention that singles can be special, remixes acapellas all that stuff.

TX

You are not what you release. It's okay to do it wrong.

Last edited by Brother Android (Feb 27, 2014 10:49 pm)

Arad, Romania

I haven't released any finished tracks yet and I have a ton of projects that need to be finished. I have three main albums planned, inspired by events spanning from 2010 to the present day (I might make a 4th one depending on how my life will unfold this year and the next one). There will be EPs and possibly singles as well (most likely only EPs since I'm not a big fan of singles). I am going to finish all the songs, one by one, ordering them by year, and when I'm done with enough tracks to fill a release I will release that (whatever comes first chronologically).

However, I will most likely release one or a few remixes as my first fully finished tracks. Why? Because I want to collaborate with someone (a singer) and my remixes might convince her to team up with me. Or at least I'll just do it as a tribute seeing as she is my favorite singer, but it could be a success.

It probably isn't wise to aim for any specific album length. Just let it happen.

Seattle, WA

I always think it's a good idea for new artists to publish a lot of singles before tackling a larger release, you get a better idea of what your style is and you get a lot of CC. Always better to release one poorly done song, than 10 poorly done songs at once. I made this mistake.

Milwaukee, WI

+1 to what other have said.

I think more than anything, you need to be very editorial with your own work.  I know that people say it's unhealthy to compare BUT I wouldn't release anything unless it could hold it's own against my favorite music.  Take your time.