matt's mind

there is a box o' backlit screens on their way here right now, coincidentally wink

Unsubscribe
AuburnKitsune wrote:

what a coincidence I was just thinking about this and remembered trusty ol' cm.org and this is was the first thread. glad people have some interest in modding these consoles considering they are becoming readily available and cheap.

Thats another thing. No one wants GBAs at all! The only problem is they require the mentioned backlight AND some sort of start select mod if you want to use them with lsdj. Otherwise it defintatly protects the cart better than a GB SP does.

And of course it also begs for GBA sized dmg flash carts.

My dreams.

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

My dreams.

now THAT is something i'd buy

SLC, UT

Is there a downside to running lsdj or whatever from a GBA flashcart with gambatte?

Arizona
herr_prof wrote:

GB SP in Kitsch DMG Shell with Prosound, Arduinoboy, various clock mods, and enough room on the bottom for audio, link and midi out cables?

That's certainly something I would buy. I love my DMGs but a lot of times I find the extra CPU power to be insanely helpful and liberating.

matt's mind
herr_prof wrote:

My dreams.

ah man, i played around with this a couple/few years ago, it was just an eprom cart though.  you are so limited on space in that cart size, it'd be a real challenge to fit a meaningful cart in there (with ram). especially with an interface like usb or some such.  i suppose it could be done, well i'm sure because tech is crazy, but its really really a tiny area to work with to get anything of any importance out. 

if no-RAM eprom carts do it for you though, could put those out anytime i'm sure the docs are on a hard drive still.  and they work, i never tested them.

i'm guessing thats not what you want though wink

Dallas, Texas
herr_prof wrote:

My flash cart

Unsubscribe

Thats not a GB flash cart.

Unsubscribe
stargazer wrote:

Is there a downside to running lsdj or whatever from a GBA flashcart with gambatte?

Gambatte is a desktop application. GBA flashcarts dont support link cables, have sketchy sound compatibility, and make wrestling with savs dififcult.

matt's mind

i believe he meant the goomba version? (rather than gambatte)

which, i'm totally unfamiliar with myself

here's the wiki page though: http://littlesounddj.wikia.com/wiki/Goomba_emulator

Alabama

Ideally we would see a homebrew software for the GBA that justifies wider use of it past the nanoloop scene (aside from a few exceptions). The DMG-centric scene is so developed because it has actual music software to use and it is widely used. Show modders decently popular software and a large userbase, and there will surely be more mods for the GBA.

Dallas, Texas

What constitutes a flash cart then?

IL, US

he means its not a DMG type cart.. if im remembering this right, GBAs have both GBC and GBA hardware inside, the cart type triggers which gets used on startup.. a gba flash cart uses gba hardware even for dmg roms through goomba, which is why theres a notable difference in gba flash carts with goomba running lsdj as a rom vs running lsdj on say, an EMS cart in a gba console...

Last edited by e.s.c. (Mar 5, 2014 5:33 pm)

Unsubscribe

The GBA series has processors for both old gb/gbc games and one for newer gba games. I dont really care about waiting for GBA dev to match lsdj/nanloop (ten years wait is long enough!) I just want to make it easier to use a more powerful system with existing tools that work well.

The way the gba knows what kind of cpu to use is the shape of the cart. GB/GBC carts flip a switch in the cart slot and forces it to use the gb processor, and shifts the voltage on the link port. This link port voltage is why you cant use link cables with the goomba emulator (amongst other reasons).

Hardware development to better use the gba hardware seems much more feasible than waiting for software on a homebrew project to mature.

Last edited by herr_prof (Mar 5, 2014 5:35 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

All the reasons you all have listed is why I love/use my gameboy color so much.  Is there really that much difference in running a dmg music prog on gba vs gbc?

Abandoned on Fire

I would love for there to be more useful gba specific music progs.