CA
kitsch wrote:
friendofmegaman wrote:

what type of paint is this?  that looks really really good

Thanks smile I used Duplicolor gray primer and Krylon's flat black. I applied several thin coats of black over the primer. I had too much on the back plate though. On top of it is Dupont sealer.

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Feb 27, 2014 4:17 am)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:30 am)

nowhere in particular
Apeshit wrote:

Red doesn't improve as much as white does when it's biverted, so this is the better choice, in my opinion.

However, neither of these screens are biverted in the pictures. Was the modification done after the photos?

Apologies, I should have been more clear. They both have white screens. The red/black one has a normal white screen. The blue/clear one has a biverted white screen.

Here's a hastily put together screen comparison:

Last edited by nstory (Feb 27, 2014 12:56 pm)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:30 am)

Detroit

biverted white is the whip

nowhere in particular

Oh, well, I asked for the screen to be biverted. I'm new to this whole thing and am not too knowledgeable on some of the hardware mods. I was under the impression that biverting screens made them easier to read by improving the contrast, so thats what I wanted.

Here's another comparison where I've changed the screen settings in LSDJ so both screens are dark on light.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:29 am)

nowhere in particular

I think you must be right.

With them both switched off, the screens look the same. The usual green colour.

This is disappointing. I paid for it to be biverted. And there's nothing I can do about it now either.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:29 am)

nowhere in particular

Well, I'm in the UK you see, and I ordered it from someone in the USA.

Sending it back to the USA and then having it shipped back to the UK is probably going to be more expense than it's worth. But I'll find out.

Perhaps I could just get a refund for the cost of the bivert mod.

I'll send the screen comparisons to the seller and see what he says about it.

Thanks for your help.

Spain
stargazer wrote:
thedimitry wrote:

Can't really tell. There's real SP AGS-101 vs. Chinese AGS-101 screens comparisons though! Remember seeing a couple of them on the official backlit AGB-001 thread on GBATemp.

Where did you get the adapter cable from? I can find the sp screens, but not the cable. Also is this a clear case or an 'arctic' clear-blue case? I think I'm going to try one of these!

I source my screens and adapters from TaoBao. The good thing is that they cost 1/4 of what the US stores or eBay charge, the bad thing is that you have to wait a long time and use a forwarding service. It's cheap when you have to buy lots of items from there, like me.

Oh, and the case is a glacier (translucent blue) one painted with opaque yellow spray paint on the inside.

Alabama

Bass boost, prosound, GBA SP frontlights. Authentic Japan-only cases mixed half and half with Kitschbent buttons.

I am terribly excited to have finished building these.

SLC, UT

I'm trying to decide if frontlighting my color is worth it. What are your thoughts?

Alabama
stargazer wrote:

I'm trying to decide if frontlighting my color is worth it. What are your thoughts?

I ditched my DMGs and Gameboy Pocket AND Gameboy Light in favor of modded GBCs. I prefer them for the size, average battery life with the frontlights, as well as the sound feeling "crisp" in some ways. The lack of bass can be an issue, but a bit of EQing with a mixer goes a long way. In my opinion, they are worth it alone if you use a AGS 001 front light that has minimal scuffs. I have the kitschbent frontlights, and they are usable but not nearly as clear. My opinion is to try out the kitschbent light, and see if you like how it feels and sounds to use the GBC before risking your money on a SP frontlight that might get scratched if you aren't SUPER careful.

CA

I've just finished this geezer:

It has:

Rechargeable Li-Po cell 2.5A with a mini-usb charger

Ugly cut hole

Charging

Charged

Sound reactive LEDs

Wire madness

Looks pretty nice in the dark

Pitch

Found tiny 50k pots and switches. Had to glue to the shell.

Also
- Internal pro sound
- White power LED
- Shell from ASM
- Buttons from Kitsch
- Backlight from HandheldLegend
- GBA SP speaker (btw this one's actually quieter than native)

Since I had to glue some parts to the shell (switch, pot and charger port) I used JST connectors to keep parts separable. I think these guys are pretty handy for this kind of mods.

Looking at it I think it's lacking biverted screen. I'll probably add one some time.

South Carolina

How did u make the leds sound reactive and what all did you use

friendofmegaman wrote:

I've just finished this geezer:

It has:

Rechargeable Li-Po cell 2.5A with a mini-usb charger

Ugly cut hole

Charging

Charged

Sound reactive LEDs

Wire madness

Looks pretty nice in the dark

Pitch

Found tiny 50k pots and switches. Had to glue to the shell.

Also
- Internal pro sound
- White power LED
- Shell from ASM
- Buttons from Kitsch
- Backlight from HandheldLegend
- GBA SP speaker (btw this one's actually quieter than native)

Since I had to glue some parts to the shell (switch, pot and charger port) I used JST connectors to keep parts separable. I think these guys are pretty handy for this kind of mods.

Looking at it I think it's lacking biverted screen. I'll probably add one some time.