Oklahoma City, OK

Hello all, I am sure this question has been posed trillions of times on this website but I'm still having trouble finding the answer I am looking for. So, my apologies in advance.

Can I export my music from LSDJ on my DMG into a MIDI file? Based on the info I've gathered on my own, could I just use an Arduinoboy to accomplish this? Is there anything else I would need? Could I also export material from 2 synced LSDJ's on DMGs into MIDI?

Again, I apologize if you've seen this same topic a million times on here already, I'm still new to a few things and I want to make sure I'm doing it all correctly, so I don't waste time and money. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Unsubscribe

You can use the arduinoboy to record raw midi notes using"
-Arduinoboy
-Special midi out version of LSDJ (available on the download portal)
- Create an instrument table with a q00 command to send a midi note that is relative to whatever note your lsdj instrument is playing. You'll need to to do this on every instrument, or on every note you specify in the chain.

With the following caveats:

1. No midi sync is possible when using midiout mode, so what I do is record a reference stereo render, along with the notes and then edit them using the rendered mix as a reference point.
2. You can only record note on and off information. No velocity, no pitch bend.
3. You can configure the arduinoboy to have each lsdj channel go to specific midi channel in any combination.

United States

it would be dope if someone (some type of gameboy genius perhaps) wrote a script to convert song files to 4 track midi files for even just note & tempo data

Last edited by Boner (Mar 19, 2014 1:43 am)

Oklahoma City, OK
Boner wrote:

it would be dope if someone (some type of gameboy genius perhaps) wrote a script to convert song files to 4 track midi files for even just note & tempo data

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I would like to be able to take an entire sav file on my cart and export that as a .midi, but alas.

In any case, herr prof, thank you so much for your help and wisdom, I will keep this in mind for any other future projects. As I stated before, there are some areas of the chipmusic world that I'm still unfamiliar with, so I thank you for shedding some needed insight on this.

Cheers!

Brooklyn NY US

The PC version of the VGB emulator (http://fms.komkon.org/VGB/) can "export" sounds to MIDI, but for LSDJ purposes like what you're describing, it might be a little bit crude. What you'll get is a raw dump of notes that are consistent with pitch and duration, but beyond that you're kind of on your own (i.e. there's no overarching tempo specified, I don't believe volume envelope behavior is really captured, pitch bends & vibrato effects are really unpredictable & wonky, etc.).

Oklahoma City, OK
Bit Shifter wrote:

The PC version of the VGB emulator (http://fms.komkon.org/VGB/) can "export" sounds to MIDI, but for LSDJ purposes like what you're describing, it might be a little bit crude. What you'll get is a raw dump of notes that are consistent with pitch and duration, but beyond that you're kind of on your own (i.e. there's no overarching tempo specified, I don't believe volume envelope behavior is really captured, pitch bends & vibrato effects are really unpredictable & wonky, etc.).

Bummer! Oh well, I also thought about trying this idea in Deflemask, or Logic Pro with the Magical 8bit Plugin, instead of LSDJ. Do you know if that's possible, to export whole files into .midi with Deflemask? (I know you can in Logic).

Thanks again smile

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DefleMask exports nativelly VGM and ROM, but you can convert easily VGM into MIDIs with lot of external tools.