I'm still not satisfied with Chipcrusher unfortunately. I've been mostly using DMG-01 and GBA_clam with the bits set to 16 and the resample rate pretty high. I've turned off the noise. The result is ok, but it still doesn't make high quality sounds sound like something you'd hear on a SNES. Even when I put the high quality sound through a sampler to remove the realism that Kontakt adds through round robin techniques and stuff.

And sandneil, I attempt to do what you were talking about in audacity but for some reason the wav file became unusable (at least in c700) after I lowered the bit rate. Any clue why that might be happening?

Any other ideas? I wish it was possible to access the exact thing that the game makers were running samples through because I can't seem to find anything that's as accurate as I'm looking for. :c

NC in the US of America

Maybe if you program an Impulse Tracker module with each sample you want to use played one by one individually, then use it2spc (converts Impulse Tracker modules to an SNES format) and then re-rip those samples from an emulator?

Also don't forget dat REVERB~~~

SNES had 8 channels, btw.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Mar 21, 2014 2:40 am)

perth, WA

running the samples through chipcrusher at 16bit w/ a high sample rate will sound about as rough as the Red Book audio standard...

atomsmasha wrote:

running the samples through chipcrusher at 16bit w/ a high sample rate will sound about as rough as the Red Book audio standard...

It didn't make sense to me either but it sounds way better than 8 bit/low sample rate. If you set the bit rate or sample rate to low numbers, the sound becomes unbearably screechy and resembles nothing that I have heard on a SNES. But if I heard the 16bit sample coming from any audio book I would demand for my money back, lol.

SketchMan3 wrote:

Maybe if you program an Impulse Tracker module with each sample you want to use played one by one individually, then use it2spc (converts Impulse Tracker modules to an SNES format) and then re-rip those samples from an emulator?

I appreciate the advice but I have no idea what this stuff means! XD

Last edited by HaydenDavenport (Mar 21, 2014 4:21 am)

HaydenDavenport wrote:

I'm still not satisfied with Chipcrusher unfortunately. I've been mostly using DMG-01 and GBA_clam with the bits set to 16 and the resample rate pretty high. I've turned off the noise. The result is ok, but it still doesn't make high quality sounds sound like something you'd hear on a SNES. Even when I put the high quality sound through a sampler to remove the realism that Kontakt adds through round robin techniques and stuff.

And sandneil, I attempt to do what you were talking about in audacity but for some reason the wav file became unusable (at least in c700) after I lowered the bit rate. Any clue why that might be happening?

Any other ideas? I wish it was possible to access the exact thing that the game makers were running samples through because I can't seem to find anything that's as accurate as I'm looking for. :c

maybe c700 only supports 16 bit samples or whatever. you can always load them back into audacity and convert them back to 16bit/44.1khz - the quality reduction is not reversible.

part of the SNES's distinct sound is not the quality of the samples but the size of them - it only had a few hundred kilobytes of memory. running a 10 megabyte kontakt patch through chipcrusher is arguably going to be further from the mark than using 100 kilobytes worth of high quality samples. a lot of the sound of the SNES comes from looped samples as well. of course its hard to really count the size of the samples you're using in a DAW, its way easier to do in a tracker.

try making a 100kB s3m file or something and you'll probably find that it sounds pretty retro! of course you can do the same thing in a DAW but i think youll find it harder

Montreal

Just wait to see what we have in store smile