Florida

Hey, I was wondering what kind of potentiometer I should get i.e. 500k, 10k if I were trying to make an external volume knob for the gameboy.  It's going to be wired directly to the old volume potentiometer built into the gameboy.

Matthew Joseph Payne

According to the gameboy schematic, it's 1k.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron … hp?id=1449

That being said, why would you do this? Are you just trying to replace a broken volume wheel? I think someone found a stock replacement part and linked to it on this forum at one point...

Florida
kineticturtle wrote:

According to the gameboy schematic, it's 1k.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron … hp?id=1449

That being said, why would you do this? Are you just trying to replace a broken volume wheel? I think someone found a stock replacement part and linked to it on this forum at one point...

Actually, I'm building a synth that incorporates multiple Gameboys in at once, so it'll be easier to manage sound adjustments with an external pot, plus one of the Gameboys I'm using has a completely destroyed volume pot.  It's mainly just to make things easier.

Thanks for the help though smile

Florida

Also, do you know what pot the contrast knob is?

Matthew Joseph Payne

Oh cool!

There's a 30k pot on the LCD board section of the schematics, I'm guessing that's it.

Florida
kineticturtle wrote:

Oh cool!

There's a 30k pot on the LCD board section of the schematics, I'm guessing that's it.

Ok, thanks for the help!

Michigan

Be sure to remove the existing pot before soldering a new one to the terminals.

Florida
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Be sure to remove the existing pot before soldering a new one to the terminals.

Will do

Cleveland, OH

The volume pot is 10k. If you are wiring them up for prosound outputs then you could just make them pre-pot and not have to remove the stock volume pot.

Florida
thursdaycustoms wrote:

The volume pot is 10k. If you are wiring them up for prosound outputs then you could just make them pre-pot and not have to remove the stock volume pot.

One of the Gameboy's I plan to use has a completely busted volume pot.  It seems to be set at the lowest volume currently, but the knob is gone and the metal peg the knob was originally attached to is completely torn apart.  I have absolutely no idea how someone could have done that by general wear and tear, but oh well...  Do you think it would be easier to have the volume pre-pot and attempt to heat up the old one and adjust it? Or would it be best to just replace it?