Melbourne, Australia

I seriously want to know how he makes the snare and kicks at 0:50ish in the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNJ9uKS-lo
Any ideas?!? I'm stuck... I'm guessing combo of pulse and noise, but not quite sure how...

Also, any really nice patches for kicks and snares that people might want to share would be great wink really need some new drum sounds

Thanks! big_smile

Earth
Panda Chan wrote:

I'm guessing combo of pulse and noise, but not quite sure how...

Bingo. You can pull it into Audacity if you want to see it up close, but it's a pretty basic thing. LSDJ isn't really cut out for instruments like that (nor is gameboy in general) but uh.. it sounds like noise - pulse - noise... Pitch.. hard to tell.

Imagine the physics of a hard snare drum hit. You hit it, the hit resonates, the snare rattles out.
\

Last edited by breakphase (Mar 16, 2014 8:01 am)

Detroit

aww look at ash he's going ham

and fwiw it sounds like sid drums which the lsdj isn't really could out for... your best bet is a combo pulse/noise snare

Melbourne, Australia

Damn... No wonder I wasn't getting that close! tongue Thanks, I'll have a play around with pulse/noise then.

Indiana

you might have some luck doubling the pulse channel with a snare sample on the wave channel.

London, UK

yeah those are c64 drums, non of that track is lsdj btw smile

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah, I realised after listening to it a bit more carefully... tongue ...still going to try and make lsdj do that wink
Thanks though. smile

NC in the US of America

I don't think it would be that hard to functionally copy those sounds in LSDJ. Either using the pulse channels+noise or, if that doesn't give you enough waveform options, wav channel(maybe mix some 25% or 12.5% pulse into it)+noise. I'm not hearing much of a kick at all. The Bitman has a great noise kick that uses a similar attack to the "kick" in that video, and it's really fully and deep for a noise kick. noisechannel.org has a tutorial on it, i think.

Kind of evidence-in-concept, here is the result of my trying to use LSDJ to mimick a snare sampled from C64 that I found in an xm module:

Noise at the start, then turn on the pulse, turn off the pulse and turn the noise back on. I don't have my lsdj on me right now, but I suppose if I pitched it higher, changed up the pulse width and decreased the speed of the pitch sweep it'd be pretty close.

Czech Republic

I don't get it. What is he doing there? Just muting tracks from ableton and dancing?
I just don't get it.

Earth
Panda Chan wrote:

Yeah, I realised after listening to it a bit more carefully... tongue ...still going to try and make lsdj do that wink
Thanks though. smile

Yeah it's totally doable. It's better at 2x tempo, cuz you get more ticks per "phrase" (one drum loop). It just wastes an extra channel for a step or two. So 2xGameboy would be better for it.

Milwaukee, WI
SketchMan3 wrote:

I don't think it would be that hard to functionally copy those sounds in LSDJ. Either using the pulse channels+noise or, if that doesn't give you enough waveform options, wav channel(maybe mix some 25% or 12.5% pulse into it)+noise. I'm not hearing much of a kick at all. The Bitman has a great noise kick that uses a similar attack to the "kick" in that video, and it's really fully and deep for a noise kick. noisechannel.org has a tutorial on it, i think.

Kind of evidence-in-concept, here is the result of my trying to use LSDJ to mimick a snare sampled from C64 that I found in an xm module:

Noise at the start, then turn on the pulse, turn off the pulse and turn the noise back on. I don't have my lsdj on me right now, but I suppose if I pitched it higher, changed up the pulse width and decreased the speed of the pitch sweep it'd be pretty close.

Great job!  That sounds superb.

Melbourne, Australia

I had a play around with it, and I didn't get exactly what I was aiming for, but I got something close, and I like how it sounds. Thanks for all the advice. big_smile