Nomad's Land

Today I was setting up my new Linux music "workstation" as I ran into a common problem:
How do I get our beloved Buzz to work on Ubuntu?

As you know until now there were mainly 3 possibilities:

1) Run Buzz/Buzé etc. in WINE. Slow as hell and not really stable.
2) Buzztard. Nice, but doesn't really have the same concept/feel as Buzz.
3) Aldrin. I loved this one until the developer decided to totally screw up the code and eventually abandon the project altogether.

BUT NOW THERE'S NEW HOPE.

Bucket Brigade decided to start a new project based on paniq's Aldrin. It's called NEIL SEQUENCER.
At the moment it's about as powerful as the old Aldrin, but of course much more stable.
So after 2 years I can finally start working on my old Aldrin tracks again.
Installing this sexy beast was lengthy but simple even for a Linux noob like myself.
So, if you are working on Linux and like Buzz, there is no reason why you shouldn't try out NEIL this very minute (and support the developer by sending bug reports and stuff).

Check it out here

Ciudad de méxico, MX

nice one, i'll try this out.

Brazil

Sorry to be off topic, but nice Nu Pogodi avatar!

Nomad's Land

indeed. i remember you had a very similar one in the good old times on *bc. didn't know this stuff was popular in brazil!?!?

Ciudad de méxico, MX

oh, on ubuntu 9.10 the dependecies were broken. God knows I hate upgrading from 8.4

Nomad's Land

hmmm, i have it running on 9.10. compiled & installed most of the deps by hand like the install walkthrough suggest. it all works fine, except for the fact that the pattern view is a bit glitchy sometimes wink

Ciudad de méxico, MX

oh, then it's a repository issue. I'll better check it out. the sound examples sounded really nice!.

EDIT: now it works! just reinstalled.

Last edited by Analog (Apr 8, 2010 2:06 am)

Minneapolis

Oh rockin! I remember using Aldrin and I hated how it always crashed. This is exciting. I wonder, i might try it out after 10.4 comes out, but a 9.10 could be good since I just have a fresh install going now.

BTW, Paniq makes amazing music with Aldrin... this should be an excellent tool.

Minneapolis

WOW... music samples are IMPRESSIVE!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

oh, i have no idea how to use this. i'm searching for some aldrin tuts. this program looks great!

Nomad's Land

Analog, search for tutorials for "Jeskola Buzz", that's the original that Aldrin, Buzztard and now Neil are cloning.

Also, there's a seperate manual for Buzz/Neil's most important plugin, Matilde Tracker, that you'll probably want to read. (MatildeTracker is the built-in sample tracker, works more or less like protracker)

edit: searched it for ya. here you go, bro.

http://avdl1064.oli.tudelft.nl/buzzmanual/ Jeskola Buzz Manual
http://www.buzzmachines.com/machines/do … newid=1006 -> download this, it contains some dlls and a couple of html files. you can throw away the dlls, just read the html for info about Matilde Tracker

edit2: remembering when i started to learn buzz, i remember there were a couple of traps/ things that are not realy obvious
1) to set the loop end in the sequencer click on a position after the position where you want to set the loop point, and press Ctrl-E
2) unlike generators, effects do not automatically produce their own tracks/patterns in the sequencer. But of course it's possible to control fx parameters over time. to create a fx track, right-click anywhere in the main sequencer window and select "Add Track" and then chose your desired fx plugin.

edit3: Vytautas/Bucket Brigade told me he's currently working on the program every day and he most definately appreciates bug reports.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Apr 8, 2010 11:19 pm)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

thanks a lot irrlichtproject! i'm using it right now! is awesome. I got a few crashes so far, the software is really great!

Hi, I am the person maintaining this project and found this discussion when looking for mentions of it on Google. I have a few points to add. I find that many people don't realize how much they can influence the development by simply signing up to the mailing list and contributing suggestions, annoyances, what machines you really really need, etc. I am myself guilty of this and I do see how this is a bit of a pain in the ass to not forget to do. Remember, if you have a problem and I don't know about your problem chances of me fixing it are very very low wink Most (but not all) annoyances and bugs are fairly trivial to fix in a project of this size. So contribute bug reports and comments. Thanks in advance!

Nomad's Land

Vytautas, i'm working on a long list of feature requests and bug reports for you. but since i'm pretty much a linux noob this takes a little time.  i'm sure you'd appreciate some error msgs along with your bug reports, also i need to sort out which bugs are reproducable and which ones are "accidents" or bad configuration on my side. besides i don't work with neil every day since i've got many projects big_smile
so, you'll be hearing from me soon. but sorry i don't want to sign up to your google group since i have an allergy against google wink

ed: btw you never got back to me about the matilde tracker manual html to pdf conversion?

ed2: and of course, welcome to chipmusic.org

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Apr 21, 2010 1:22 pm)

Ah yes sorry about that smile It completely escaped me. I will write an e-mail reply about it today.

Minneapolis

I have a stock 9.10 install, completely clean, and this won't compile. I followed the directions and promptly decided to try something else. Any ideas?