Portland, OR

I am just starting out trying to get into chip tunes, and want to be using a soon-to-be custom DMG, I want to use LSDJ on a DnD cart (I'm using a Mac and want the simplest backup solution) and was wondering if it would be possible to drop the DnD circuit board into any old gameboy cart if I cut a hole for the USB port?

Michigan

Yeah, if you watched the videos of him building the carts, he tasted them out in a DKC cart shell.

matt's mind

totally.  the first batch (beta batch maybe?) were grey original shells

Portland, OR
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Yeah, if you watched the videos of him building the carts, he tasted them out in a DKC cart shell.

Yeah, That's where I got the idea, but didn't know if the production versions had any differences that would complicate it.

kitsch wrote:

That's awesome; I noticed that the DnDs use 3rd party carts (Proprietary DnD carts?)
I'm actually going to be buying some buttons from your shop for the mod job I want to do on my DMG!

Thanks guys!! I'm sure this is the first of a ton of questions to come!

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:27 am)

Portland, OR
Apeshit wrote:

Just curious, why do you want to swap it out? Those shells were difficult to make!

I want a cart that has the 'Nintendo GameBoy' name on the concave (Silly, I know) and I want the color to match my Game Boy

matt's mind
Dead Pixel Productions wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Yeah, That's where I got the idea, but didn't know if the production versions had any differences that would complicate it.

kitsch wrote:

That's awesome; I noticed that the DnDs use 3rd party carts (Proprietary DnD carts?)
I'm actually going to be buying some buttons from your shop for the mod job I want to do on my DMG!

Thanks guys!! I'm sure this is the first of a ton of questions to come!

right on!

you've come to a good place for such questions smile  this site has a lot of love for Prof. Abrasive and his DnD project (he pops in from time to time even)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:27 am)

Portland, OR
Apeshit wrote:

Bummer.

The cart shells don't actually match the color of the gameboy. Funnily enough though, for the second run we were going to do grey shells and when we got them back from our factory, they ended up being the grey color of a gameboy instead of the grey cart shell color, so we opted to going with clear black again.

Also, keep in mind you won't see the status LED without drilling another hole. This is another reason abrasive went with the clear black color instead.

Thanks for the heads up on the LED, I don't actually know what it indicates. I have been getting a list of things I want to get before I jump in but there is still a lot I need to learn.

I have a clear GBPiL I want to back paint white, and I have my eye on a white Jpn Tamagochi cart I really like the look of.

Ohio, USA

I did exactly this. My Derpcart is now in an original gameboy shell.  You'll have to mimic the hole they had for the USB port, but it's not hard to get right. Also there is a small peg on the bottom half (non-label) that will obstruct the board. You can see they removed this in their shell, so do so as well. I drilled a small hole in the front to the left of the logo indent for the LED to shine through. The LED isnt important but it will flash while writing or reading. If you safely eject though, you can ignore it.

Here's how the finished cart looks. I still need to clean up the LED hole.

I'm getting custom labels printed here soon, trying to make this look as much like an official nintendo cartridge as possible (I even included the ESRB rating logo. The old one they used back then. tongue )  Here's a mockup of what I'm getting printed for it.

Portland, OR
WACOMalt wrote:

I did exactly this. My Derpcart is now in an original gameboy shell.
I'm getting custom labels printed here soon, trying to make this look as much like an official nintendo cartridge as possible (I even included the ESRB rating logo. The old one they used back then. tongue )  Here's a mockup of what I'm getting printed for it.

That looks great! Yeah, a little sandpaper or an Xacto knife and that will look boss.

Funny I just saw and commented on your post about the custom label. I really like your mock-up and if you can find a printer that can get the silvering on the edges that would be awesome!

Last edited by Dead Pixel Productions (Mar 27, 2014 7:33 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne
Apeshit wrote:

Also, keep in mind you won't see the status LED without drilling another hole. This is another reason abrasive went with the clear black color instead.

Actually I have my derps in white, red, blue and yellow shells. On the yellow shell, I can see the LED through the body (would be harder but not impossible to see if I had a label on it. I can't remember offhand, but I think I can also see the light on the red, maybe the white. Red is hard since it's the same color as the light.

Sorry we're breaking your heart by swapping them out man. wink

Michigan

You could drill a hole half way through from the inside, and not break through. That should allow for the light to shine through I suppose.

Portland, OR
Jazzmarazz wrote:

You could drill a hole half way through from the inside, and not break through. That should allow for the light to shine through I suppose.

That's a great idea! Dremel out just a little bit; It would still look clean from the outside but allow you to see the LED.

WACOMalt wrote:

I did exactly this. My Derpcart is now in an original gameboy shell.  You'll have to mimic the hole they had for the USB port, but it's not hard to get right. Also there is a small peg on the bottom half (non-label) that will obstruct the board. You can see they removed this in their shell, so do so as well. I drilled a small hole in the front to the left of the logo indent for the LED to shine through. The LED isnt important but it will flash while writing or reading. If you safely eject though, you can ignore it.

Will you be selling those labels when printed?  Because I will need 6.  And if you get them with different color schemes that would be even better!

Ohio, USA
onapokoya wrote:

Will you be selling those labels when printed?  Because I will need 6.  And if you get them with different color schemes that would be even better!

Differing color schemes will probably not be possible on my budget. Each style has to come in a run of 50+ so for now, unless there winds up being a huge demand, I can only do the original design pictured there.

But yes, I will be selling them provided I manage to get them produced.