Hey,

I'm a recent lurker, first time poster. And a novice chiptune "beatmaker" I wanted to see if I can glean any knowledge how to replicate a lead sound from the following instrumental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDcGryw6hw

Is this just a triangle wave?

The artists is under the pseudonym "Wonderswan" but I'm not sure if he sampled actual an actual Wonderswan tune. So, I have a two part question.

Does anybody know what plugin would get me there easier? I have Odosnths "Dream64" and Plogue Chipsounds at my disposal.

And

If it is an actual Wonderswan tune. Is there an emu that is chip faithful? And is there any synth/music maker programs that were published for WS?

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated!

Sweden

I doubt a Wonderswan is involved at all. It sounds like a square wave with some heavy post-processing, but I don't think that the timbre itself is particularly important to the character of the music in this case. Think more in terms of timing, melody and harmony and I think you'll get closer to what you are looking for.. The VSTs you mentioned seem appropriate to produce that timbre, though. Good luck, it's a nice song!

Yea I am getting close with the M5232 chip emu square wave in Chipsounds. Not quite there. The post processing I am certain is from sampling into the Boss SP-303 (maybe a 202) on lo-fi settings.

I'd still love to know if it was an actual game he sampled or if he played the part!

Thanks for the insight though.

The more I listen to it, however, the more I am beginning to think it's an actual arcade cab (or music ripped from an arcade cab) that was the source material.

Last edited by Deeyou (Feb 14, 2014 2:48 pm)

nowhere

OMG. that was fantastic. brilliant little track.

nowhere
Deeyou wrote:

Is this just a triangle wave?

i loaded up the song into audacity and used a low pass filter to remove all
the high end noise from a small section of the song that was free of other sounds.

before filter:

after filter:

smile
/adam

Indiana
anthrium wrote:

OMG. that was fantastic. brilliant little track.

It took some digging to find his other stuff, but it's all really good; i'm enjoying it a lot!

thanks for sharing Deeyou!

umm,   I recommend using vibrato on a square wave and use some EQ until it sounds raspy like computer game

Hey guys,

thanks for all the help! Yea, a poly square wave with distortion and a touch of LFO is the ticket!!

Yea, I really like the microwavedmeows channel...none of it is *pure* chip but they do the lo-fi thing really well!

Indiana
Deeyou wrote:

Yea, a poly square wave with distortion and a touch of LFO is the ticket!

i took a shot at replicating that sound on a shruthi, but didn't have much luck. glad you nailed it!

could i ask what you mean by a poly square wave? is that two detuned square waves or like a stereo widened sound or something?

Fudgers wrote:
Deeyou wrote:

Yea, a poly square wave with distortion and a touch of LFO is the ticket!

i took a shot at replicating that sound on a shruthi, but didn't have much luck. glad you nailed it!

could i ask what you mean by a poly square wave? is that two detuned square waves or like a stereo widened sound or something?

Hey sorry for the delayed response..

Poly meaning just a polyphonic synth..I did it in Plogue Chipsounds with the NES chip square wave, set the poly to 4 so I could play chords.