Offline
CA

I was thinking to remove the piece of PCB with the headphone jack with the single pro sound jack. Reasons: 1) saves space 2) the native jack is corroded 3) i don't need pre amped output anyway.

I just wonder is it safe to remove the whole thing?

Offline
matt's mind

yep, you can rip it out by the wires if you want

Offline
CA

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm gonna do

Offline

does  anyone  know of a  way to remove the whole  or  part  of the pcb  and still retain speaker functionality? I don't mind losing  the jack,  but I do want to keep the speaker.

Offline
CA

AFAIK the speaker is not dependent on the jack PCB.

Offline
Czech republic
friendofmegaman wrote:

AFAIK the speaker is not dependent on the jack PCB.

Well, it is - in a way. There's a switch in the headphone jack which turns the speaker on and off. But I think it should be always on if you cut all the wires.

Here is the gameboy scheme, the switch is in the bottom right corner (of the first picture).

Offline
Cincinnati, OH
ashimoke wrote:
friendofmegaman wrote:

AFAIK the speaker is not dependent on the jack PCB.

Well, it is - in a way. There's a switch in the headphone jack which turns the speaker on and off. But I think it should be always on if you cut all the wires.

Here is the gameboy scheme, the switch is in the bottom right corner (of the first picture).

If you make the new prosound jack pre pot then you can turn down the speaker with the volume pot like normal and still hear the jack. The bad thing is there will be no volume control when using headphones.

Offline

I guess I assumed they were related since my speaker  went out immediately following removal of that pcb,  but my rca  pro sound still works. I must have inadvertently did something else in there.  I'll check again.

Offline
matt's mind

you can just add a jumper to ground the speaker again if you remove the headphone PCB.  try attaching where the white wire was to ground.  i *think* the white wire is the post-switch speaker wire at least, perhaps that isn't right.  memory

removing this PCB basically removes the switch that engages the speaker.  you've got to switch it back on again somehow.  a jumper should do the trick.  or a bit of hook up wire if you want it insulated

the switch in the jack is a grounding switch.

Offline
CA

Oops, yah I was totally wrong, I completely forgot about the switch. Sorry about that smile

Offline
clovis CA

yea, just ground the white wire. the reason the prosound still works is its bypassing the amp. the amp reads the digital input and chooses whether the speaker stays on or off wink

Last edited by Alley Beach (Apr 1, 2014 11:08 pm)

Offline

beautiful.  that did  the trick. I figured it would require some kind of jumper,  just didn't know where  without you guys.

Offline
Matthew Joseph Payne

Don't forget http://thursdaycustoms.bigcartel.com/product/dmg-audio ! They aren't available with headphone jacks installed right now, but it's a nice little space saving thing that keeps the DMG looking stock.

Offline

Hey guys, I’m having the same problem. I had a broken headphone board, so I ripped all the cables that connects the headphone board on the main board.. now I got no sound from the speaker. Can someone please help me on that?

Online
Sea of Souls
Ntnd.fn wrote:

Hey guys, I’m having the same problem. I had a broken headphone board, so I ripped all the cables that connects the headphone board on the main board.. now I got no sound from the speaker. Can someone please help me on that?

See Kitsch's or Alley Beach's replay above.

Offline
Orgia Mode wrote:
Ntnd.fn wrote:

Hey guys, I’m having the same problem. I had a broken headphone board, so I ripped all the cables that connects the headphone board on the main board.. now I got no sound from the speaker. Can someone please help me on that?

See Kitsch's or Alley Beach's replay above.

But I don’t have the headphone’s board anymore, so I can turn the on/off. I guess that I need another solution, if there’s one.