Los Angeles, CA

I can't wait!

CHIPcinnati Ohio

I think green would look sick. Maybe black/smoke would be cool too. Can't wait to preorder! Backup everythingggg!

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:27 am)

Oakland, CA

Looks sick. I am assuming you will update the thread when pre-orders go live.

Project looks awesome. Hope you post the pre-order deets soon.

This can not come soon enough. Any projected date? will it work with mac?

This can not come soon enough. Any projected date? will it work with mac?

NYC

Patiently waiting for this.

Hello,

Sorry if that's a trivial question (first post here, hi!), I have an old NL cart, what would be the purpose of this flasher with such a cart? Could I update NL, or put LSDJ instead, or a game, or dump the saved songs?

Thanks!

Abandoned on Fire
ultrageranium wrote:

Hello,

Sorry if that's a trivial question (first post here, hi!), I have an old NL cart, what would be the purpose of this flasher with such a cart? Could I update NL, or put LSDJ instead, or a game, or dump the saved songs?

Thanks!

If I understand the project correctly, you'll definitely be able to dump your saved songs and potentially be able to update/change the nanoloop version to another one that uses the same cart hardware.  Nanoloop carts are a special case where I don't think you'd be able to put other roms like lsdj on there without losing some of their functionality.

Sweeeeeeden
ultrageranium wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!

I'm aiming to support every type of cartridge I can. If it's a rare cartridge I may to ask to borrow it for a research to add support. (I believe I already have a piece of the same Nanoloop cartridge that you're describing so that's all good.)
I'll support every operation possible, dumping the ROM contents from the cartridge, flashing the cartridge, and reading.writing save data. The only time when some operation wouldn't be possible to do in ALTANE is if it's physically impossible. This could be true if a cartridge contains an OTPROM (one time programmable ROM) or an EPROM of a type which requires an external high voltage (typically 12V) or if the /wr pin of the chip is disconnected so that there is no way to tell the chip to be programmed.

One example of such an impossible situation is the EMS 64M USB cartridge, which can be programmed, but it's (as far as I know) impossible to change the page that it is on from the Gameboy cartridge slot. As such, you're stuck with programming whichever page happens to be active at the time.

If it's possible to flash the cartridge in question, you can put anything on it. But there might be cases where a ROM isn't compatible with the cartridge in question, so keep that in mind as well.

sweden

What about nanoloop 1.3 (FRAM)?

Outer Space

When this is all said and done you should compile a big list of all the cartridges that it supports. Not only would it be helpful, but it would also be cool and good for bragging rights.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

The NL cart that I have is the same kind as the yellow one posted here http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/12226 … artridges, except that it's gray but the PCB, at a quick glance, seems to be the same.

I can't remember which NL it is to be honest, it's been many years, I would have to look for the manual in a pile of boxes. It does not have the arpeggio and gives access to three voices only so it's definitively < 1.3, maybe 1.2 ...?

Looking forward to learn more about what this flasher device could allow with such a cart.

Chicago

will it support EMS 64M? will it only support original GB carts? i have a Flash2Advance Ultra 1G I wouldn't mind being able to flash without the hassle of scouring the net for the drivers.

Sweeeeeeden

It will supprt EMS 64M, but only for one of the pages. It will in general not support GBA carts because GBA carts are using 3.3V power and old cartridges are using 5V power. A 3.3V chip may not tolerate those 5V, but if it can be determined that a certain GBA cartridge is 5V tolerant, there's not much stopping me from adding software support for flashing it. This might be a can of worms if people accidentally fry their GBA carts, though.