Has anyone managed to get this working successfully? I can get it to play and at the right tempo when I hit the play button in FL Studio but it starts slightly behind. I have played around with settings on the gameboy and FL studio but it doesnt seem to work. Also, it seems to glitch the screen but sounds ok. I am testing this on GBA SP and CGB.

Any help would be great.

Canada

Sounds like latency issues on FL's end. Try messing with your buffer/sample rates?
Also, it depends which is starting slightly behind, and which is ahead.

Last edited by Jansaw (Mar 31, 2014 6:45 pm)

Ive tried it on both my machines which have a fresh copy of windows and fl studio. Im just trying to sync it to a kick drum. it is worse on one of my machines, It seems to stutter lsdj at the very start then its fine after that. It does this much worse on one of my machines and also in a daw called reaper.

ive got it to work fine if i ram the buffer all the way up. Why is this? I dont need to do that when connecting my other hardware drum machines to fl studio

Canada

I don't know much about it at all. I just know that it effects the way samples are played back in the daw. There's also issues with this if you have a massive project using many many plugins and your system doesn't have enough RAM, and it can't handle the CPU load. It's latency, and if you've hit your system's processing peak, it could be your problem. But, like I said, I'm not certain.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Jansaw (Apr 1, 2014 2:30 am)

Riverside, CA

Yeah that sounds like a latency thing.
In FL, hit F10 and go to audio. How many milliseconds does it say the Buffer Length is?
The smaller that number is the less latency you'll have. I usually do fine with about 12ms or so.

The Silph Scope wrote:

Yeah that sounds like a latency thing.
In FL, hit F10 and go to audio. How many milliseconds does it say the Buffer Length is?
The smaller that number is the less latency you'll have. I usually do fine with about 12ms or so.

I have to put the latency up to 186ms for them to play in sync. Im using fl studio 11

United States

adjust the offset

I dont think its the offset or latency that is the problem as all my other hardware drum machines play in sync in FL Studio. I changed the setting of the USB MIDI adaptor to Sync. In this mode I need to (in FL Studio) hit play, then pause and play again for it to start on the gameboy. The first beat plays slow then it catches up to the tempo. This makes it out of sync. It basically does this in the other setting.

Has anyone has this interface to work correctly?

Canada

Your hardware drum machines are different machines. Every peripheral is going to act differently. It's like... every person communicates differently with you. Some do better, some don't.

I have used the usb boy successfully with Logic, using lsdj. It's great fun! Haven't tried what you're using.
I used it in a more intensive logic project, with some complex mastering/eqing vsts, and latency was pretty bad no matter what sample rate I chose. All I did was bounce/export the stuff I wanted to be effected by the vsts before I hooked up the gameboy. I then put the exported track on one track, and deleted the original tracks+plugins, leaving just a wav track for the gameboy to sync with. Worked like a charm.

Your system needs to share all of its memory, so latency becomes an issue. Some things that make this happen are plugins, certain vsts/audio units, having many instruments in one file, having very high quality samples and a high sample rate... anything that takes a lot of cpu.

Last edited by Jansaw (Apr 1, 2014 4:03 pm)

Jansaw wrote:

Your hardware drum machines are different machines. Every peripheral is going to act differently. It's like... every person communicates differently with you. Some do better, some don't.

I have used the usb boy successfully with Logic, using lsdj. It's great fun! Haven't tried what you're using.
I used it in a more intensive logic project, with some complex mastering/eqing vsts, and latency was pretty bad no matter what sample rate I chose. All I did was bounce/export the stuff I wanted to be effected by the vsts before I hooked up the gameboy. I then put the exported track on one track, and deleted the original tracks+plugins, leaving just a wav track for the gameboy to sync with. Worked like a charm.

Your system needs to share all of its memory, so latency becomes an issue. Some things that make this happen are plugins, certain vsts/audio units, having many instruments in one file, having very high quality samples and a high sample rate... anything that takes a lot of cpu.

Thank you for your reply. Im testing the system with only a FL kick, no track has been produced. No matter what combination I use the first beat starts slow then it catches up to the tempo but is overall out of sync with fl studio. mGB works perfectly.

When the Nanoloop USB-MIDI is in sync mode it will not start if i hit play. It just plays the first beat then stops. But, if i pause it and restart it will start without the slow first beat and how it should. But not in the right place.

Ive tried different machines and different versions of LSDJ, all with the same results. i also tried Reaper. It does the same.

Ive managed to get it synced in Reaper. Ill try another version of FL studio

EDIT: Tried FL Studio 10. Its exactly the same. When I hit play from a stopped position in FL it wont start LSDJ. It works flawlessly in Reaper though. I wonder what the problem is. All my other drum machines start ok.

Last edited by Anonymouse (Apr 1, 2014 5:11 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

Here's one thing I'd check in your FL Studio MIDI settings:

"Send master sync - Master sync tells connected MIDI devices to follow FL Studio's start/stop/play commands, etc. FL Studio will send a 'Master sync' signal only if the button is selected (orange).

NOTE: Make sure Enable MIDI master sync is selected in the Options menu, 'Send master sync' will be disabled otherwise."

uXe wrote:

Here's one thing I'd check in your FL Studio MIDI settings:

"Send master sync - Master sync tells connected MIDI devices to follow FL Studio's start/stop/play commands, etc. FL Studio will send a 'Master sync' signal only if the button is selected (orange).

NOTE: Make sure Enable MIDI master sync is selected in the Options menu, 'Send master sync' will be disabled otherwise."

Thanks for that. Yeah ive 'got set master sync' enabled. I only use FL studio to control hardware and ive never had a problem with it. All my other external drums and synths work fine.

The Nanoloop USB MIDI adapter is set to "sync" mode. When I press play in FL studio it plays the first beat on LSDJ then stops. If I pause then play in FL studio it will play the first beat slow then speed up to tempo. I have tried this along side other hardware machines and they play fine. Im thinking this adapter may be incompatible with FL Studio.

Last edited by Anonymouse (Apr 2, 2014 12:03 am)

reject of nintendoage

not sure, never used lsdj, but i think i read sth about lsdj's sync modes being picky.
you have to set it to midi (not slave) or the start/stop stuff doesn't work properly...something about starting one tick late, if i remember correctly.

or so, maybe someone elso knows more.

shizcake wrote:

not sure, never used lsdj, but i think i read sth about lsdj's sync modes being picky.
you have to set it to midi (not slave) or the start/stop stuff doesn't work properly...something about starting one tick late, if i remember correctly.

or so, maybe someone elso knows more.

Ive been trying midi mode in LSDJ but when play (from beginning is pressed) it just plays one beat then stops. If I change to slave it just plays a click then stops. But in Slave mode when I play/pause/play it will start without starting off slow then speeding up. Its weird that it works flawlessly in Reaper but not FL studio. Ive been trying to research how to change midi clock signal in FL studio so that it is similar to Reaper. I need it to be standard though as I will be running it with other external hardware.