Atlanta

Thought this might help someone out:

I spent a lot of time today trying to find a console to run piggy on. Since the GP systems aren't really produced anymore, they're becoming more and more difficult to find. The only Dingoo I could find (even on ebay) was an A380e, and every review of those says they're a shitty knockoff that doesn't work properly. I didn't want to get a PSP3000, because it seems like people are having trouble with them, plus they're still expensive. And I didn't want to get a used one, that had some kid's Cheeto fingers all over it.

Anyway, if you're looking for a PSP 1k or 2k, you can buy them new / not refurbished, but you have to walk into a certain physical video game retailer (rhymes with LameStop) to do so; The 2k was $69, so the 1k is probably more like $50. Apparently they have warehouses full of unsold older model PSPs & will ship them for free.

So yeah, can't wait to get piggy running! smile

*If this thread sounds too much like an ad, feel free to delete it.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I had that experience too. In fact at one point I went into a gamestop on a whim to see if they had any, and the guy said "no, but you should talk to that guy on his way out the door" - the dude had just sold back all of his prior gen gaming stuff, but they wouldn't buy the PSP1001 at all, so he just gave it to me.

I guess that speaks to how overburdened they are with the things... I wouldn't be surprised if you could talk a manager down in price, too.

Youngstown, OH

Can I ask you guys about price? Gamestop's website had some refurbished PSP's up for $75 but that still seems a little expensive. then again I've never owned a psp or really wanted to but for the right price I'd love an excuse to get piggy on something mobile.

IL, US

you can find em on ebay cheap if youre patient, but that can be hard to be sure on condition... i just got a psp go in perfect shape for $60 shipped though, so the good ones are out there

Milwaukee, WI

When I checked on ebay a few weeks ago there were loads of PSP 2000's for 50 - 60 bucks.  Can't really beat that!

Alabama

Look for sellers who have PSP's with broken UMD disc drives. I got a 1000 and a 2000 with non-functioning disc drives for $10 each from a local game store. May want to check ebay for some of these specimen.

Since homebrew-enabling a PSP no longer requires use of a game exploit, just a Memory Stick Pro Duo (or a microSD to memory stick adapter with a microSD card) and some signed eboot files, you might as well give the "crippled" models a look too.

Here are a few things I have learned since getting the 1000 and 2000:
- be careful about what kind of TV out cable you get for the 2000, one of them is only good for a few games, the other kind is compatible with all games and operations (read reviews on Amazon to know what's good)
- be mindful that despite the PSP 1000 being cheaper, the 2000 has a better screen, size, battery life, and more RAM (2x as much, big deal for Piggy). Try getting an OEM PSP 1000 battery and sticking it in a 2000 with a matching bigger battery cover. The 1000 battery is 1800mAH while the stock slim is 1200mAH. You get 50% more life, roughly. Stay away from the "extended life" battery kit, the lithium ion cells in those have not aged gracefully and have exploded in the 2 cases I own, as well as the ones new-in-box online. Avoid it, you will be shelling out for a garbage product.

- look into getting a PSP camera because it is really quite good and can be found for $10 or less. Convenient to have for recording sounds to use in Piggy or for the sake of having.

- the microSD-to-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo adapter I have mentioned can be found in 2 flavors, one that accepts a single microSD card and one that accepts two cards at a time (there's a catch). Due to Sony keeping their foot on the gas with MS Pro Duo prices, look into these adapters especially if you have a spare microSD card or two. Be aware that the 2 card adapter likes to operate only when there are 2 cards in use and in their proper slots. It also helps to use cards whose sum of memory equals a power of 2 (8gb + 4gb isn't a good fit, 8gb + 8gb is, etc). Be wary of slightly slower transfer speeds and a slower loading XMB menu ( we are talking an extra 3 seconds at bootup) if you have tons (32 gb) of memory.

The PSP is a great songwriting tool, and it is very affordable to pimp it out with a better battery, video out, more storage, and plugins to make it more of a powerhouse than you would expect.

Atlanta
sleepytimejesse wrote:

Can I ask you guys about price? Gamestop's website had some refurbished PSP's up for $75 but that still seems a little expensive. then again I've never owned a psp or really wanted to but for the right price I'd love an excuse to get piggy on something mobile.

Yeah, I paid $69 for a new (not refurbished) 2000. The 1000 is probably closer to $50.

SLC, UT

Thanks for that poat max. Really helpful, I'm looking into getting a PSP now.

Other than piggy and emulators, what homebrews are good?

.FILTHadelphia
stargazer wrote:

Thanks for that poat max. Really helpful, I'm looking into getting a PSP now.

Other than piggy and emulators, what homebrews are good?

PSPSeq. It's a pretty rad sequencer style music program. Bit of a learning curve but you can do cool stuff with it.

Unsubscribe

Also pspseq can export synth sounds as wavs, which you then export into your piggy projects, which comes in handy since song sequencing in pspseq is a little weird.

Tools I havent used but might be cool

http://psp.dashhacks.com/file/428
beta Record audio from any UMD/homebrew directly to your memory stick. Written by moonlight

http://psp.dashhacks.com/file/1152
Real time audio effects processor

http://psp.dashhacks.com/file/1527
Xplora — the PSP File Manager

Last edited by herr_prof (Apr 4, 2014 3:17 pm)