CA

Hi guys,

I came across this listing today:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Rare-Gameboy- … 338d44955a

3 rare gameboys for $999 dollars. White, blue and Manchester United.
I don't usually bitch about stuff but this one pissed me off. The person says:

"These are the 3 rarest DMG Game Boy systems produced. I've been an avid collector for many years and now I'm selling these to pay for a new PC.

All have original battery covers that still fit snuggly.

You won't find these 3 systems very often. The blue one in particular is incredibly rare."

Now this is a lie. The problem is that a lot of people really think these are that rare and cost that much. I can see that looking at the various forums and retro gaming web sites. But they're not. Blue one for instance is not rare at all!

Let me prove my point:

1. Blue gameboy

Go to ebay.de and search gameboy blau. Last time I checked there were 10 of them and they cost in average 30-70 Euro + up to 10 Euro delivery. So you can get a nice CIB boy straight away for $100. Now if you check for new auctions from time to time you cat get much cheaper deal. I got 3 already for less than $50.

2. White gameboy

This guy is rare for sure. But they appear from time to time on ebay. At the moment there are 2 of them. They cost around $150. Pricey but not fucking $1000 as the aforementioned seller requests.

3. Manchester united

These can be found at ebay.co.uk, cost around 70 pounds which is about $120. Pricey? Indeed. Any close to $1000? Nope. Rare? Sort of, but not really.

So $100+$150+$120 = $370

So, sorry for being an asshole I just wanted to let you all know what is the real price of these guys. By 'real' I mean the usual buy it now price. If you're patient enough you can get much better deal that that and it will be even cheaper. So please don't fall for the false description and spread this message to raise awareness.

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Apr 10, 2014 8:23 am)

hiding under your bed

Yeah, I run into crap like this on ebay often.
They're rarely bought even after the seller relists them with ever-so-slightly-reduced prices.

matt's mind

gameboy weiß / weiss on ebay.de too

CA
kitsch wrote:

gameboy weiß / weiss on ebay.de too

Oh, interesting smile Didn't consider that.
I'm pretty sure there are Japanese auctions or some Craiglist equivalents where you can get a lot of them for less than $100

sweden

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nanoloop-1-Nano … 338d438042

Not as extreme, but about 70 bucks more expensive then buying them new from the nanoloop store.

Last edited by nordloef (Apr 10, 2014 7:20 am)