San Diego, CA

Ok, I've been doing furious googling/searching on this topic and I can't really find a definitive answer other than Tim's undocumented DMG07 Arduinoboy hack, so I'm going to ask: what will it take for me to get multiple Gameboys synchronized to the same DAW (preferably Ableton)? Nothing fancy like different sync modes per Gameboy, just the same signal from the DAW to multiple Gameboys so they can all follow the same clock.

So far I've kind of been attached to the idea of just making a normal Teensyboy (with katsumbhong's help) and then using a modded DMG07 instead of a link cable to send MIDI through. In my head it works because the DMG07 just allows clock messages to go to multiple Gameboys, but in my case it wouldn't be a master LSDJ sending those messages -- it would be a DAW. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea if that would work in practice, because I'm not really 100% clear on how MIDI works in general.

But I'm not totally attached to the idea of the Teensyboy -- if it worked, I would be open to just splicing a MIDI cable to a DMG07 or something; I was originally talking to the guy who runs Xiwi Electronics to see if I could do that with one of his Arduinoboys, but I couldn't get a definitive answer on it so I didn't go for it. Basically, any help with this is appreciated!

Matthew Joseph Payne

I believe Nick Maynard also built a DMG-07 modded so that one of the gameboys powers the arduino/teensy, and the others are passive. It should just be a matter of some somewhat tedious trace-tracing to figure out which pins to jumper - nothing that katsumbhong isn't capable of. smile

clovis CA

http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2011/0 … or-16.html
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/0 … e-boy.html

Alabama

A Teensy Boy or prebuilt USB Boy works with a modified DMG07 cable when it comes to LSDJ slave, MGB, and LSDJ LiveMap modes on your Teensy device. I personally use a splitter built by Justin Thursday so I can use 2 GBC's in my setup, and I know anthony can make you some wonderful gear as well smile

I'd say rock the DMG07 adapter, and if you need to sync more Gameboys, you can always daisy chain a second modified DMG07 in wink

San Diego, CA

Max -- thanks! I pretty much just wanted confirmation that a DMG07 would work with a Teensyboy from someone who knew more about it than I did; I figured that it would work, but I wasn't 100% sure. I pretty much just want the 3 DMGs just because any more is kind of overkill smile

All we need to do is get that Teensyboy working then! I'll update this thread when it works. I'm sure Anthony will have something to say about it too!

San Diego, CA

Just wanted to post that update -- a DMG07 totally works perfectly with a Teensyboy as long as you mod it little-scale style

Michigan
kineticturtle wrote:

I believe Nick Maynard also built a DMG-07 modded so that one of the gameboys powers the arduino/teensy, and the others are passive. It should just be a matter of some somewhat tedious trace-tracing to figure out which pins to jumper - nothing that katsumbhong isn't capable of. smile

Yeah, I did that too. Its very easy as long as you don't cross the voltage terminals. You can see it in action here, but don't judge. tongue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeU0BQKhXqs