Hey guys, so I was pretty excited to hack my first DMG! I decided to start off small and just put in a backlight and some LED's for now, but I just tested out the backlight then and the screen is kaput.. like it's not giving me any kind of signal at all? I didn't rip any of the ribbons - but I may have got them a little wet when I tried to clean the stick off from the old screen-back (that aluminum foil kind of stuff). A youtube video said even the slightest bit of moisture on there was a no-no. So I did try to be really careful.. but I wanted to make sure with you guys, just to see if anyone has seen this kind of thing before and it IS fixable and perchance my screen isn't stuffed from the bit of water i did get on it.
If not, it looks like it's back to square one.
Thanks!

<< here's what it looks like
and it doesn't matter which way I turn the polarising film layer to face, it always ends up with the same result.

New York

Have you adjusted the contrast? The screen appears to be getting some signal.
Also next time use isopropyl to clean it (stick with 100% if you can, if not 70% and up is fine).

oh man...haha thanks, yep that was exactly it. Gosh. Sometimes I amaze myself. But awesome to know that it works!
And thanks for the tip! Will do smile

First time I modded a DMG with an LED backlight, I had te exact same problem haha.

New York

I'm glad it was as simple as that tongue
My habit is to play with the contrast wheel right after a backlight mod.
Very clean install, the screen looks spotless!
Great job on a first mod.

Last edited by BoFoSho (Apr 28, 2014 5:28 pm)

Just wanted to say,  rubbing alcohol is probably better than using water when working with electronics :)

And,  always adjust the contrast right away after installing a backlight! :P

Last edited by RJL (Apr 29, 2014 2:18 am)

Thanks guys smile it's good to know I wasn't alone here, I'll definitely have to get into that habit of adjusting the contrast wheel tongue And thanks again for the advice about rubbing alcohol. Actually, the combination of tutorials I saw basically suggested spit and elbow grease tongue Real men's men they were. I ended up using a slightly wet soapy cloth, trying to be very careful, but still couldn't get all of the sticky residue off, so thanks for the compliment BroFoSho! I'm glad it looks okay smile