ontario, Canada

hello all, i need a little help here,
I recently picked up a broken DMG-01 from my local flea market. i bought it cheap because the batteries had leaked. anyways, i power it up and most of the display is not there. when i power it down sometimes the entire screen flashes black for a second then shuts off. what i am wondering is if there is any way to fix this. i tried the front PCB with my working game boy and same thing. any help is appreciated.
mods, if this is in the wrong section please move it.
thanks.

Last edited by DEVICEMODDER (May 5, 2014 4:05 pm)

Minneapolis, MN

I had the exact same problem with my DMG. The batteries had leaked in mine too, and all you need to do is clean up the battery contacts and it should work. I had a 6V voltage drop because of the corrosion.

ontario, Canada

i will try cleaning the corrosion. it is running off an AC adapter here.

Edit: that didn't work the screen is still messed up. i even tried the cpu board from my good dmg with this screen. same thing.

Last edited by DEVICEMODDER (May 5, 2014 12:28 am)

Dead horizontal lines and contrast turned to max perhaps?

ontario, Canada

yep, that's correct. contrast pumped to max. i think i found a way to fix it see my next post.

Last edited by DEVICEMODDER (May 6, 2014 11:27 am)

I haven't heard about anyone successfully repairing horizontal lines, so it's probably useless. However, that means it can't hurt to try!

ontario, Canada

I think this might work:
How-to-remove-and-re-attach-LCD-Ribbon-from-a-PCB
this is for the thin white horizontal ribbon. I've got nothing to lose so i might try it. if it works there might be a way to fix those pesky horizontal lines.

i might try this in a few days when i have more free time :-)