Hello,
I recently got my hands on several 'broken' DMGs. Fortunalety, the only issues were missing vertical lines, leaking batteries and scratched/missing screen covers.
I more or less managed to restore them.

Is there an easy way to reattach the rubber strip I had to remove to fix the display? Maybe double-sided tape?

Next, I would like to backlight some of them. As two of them were missing the screen protection, they have some scratches on the top (polarization?) layer.
Are they even worth backlighting? I can imagine that the scratches are even more visible with backlight. Can this be repaired or are they a lost cause?
On the other hand, they could be good test subjects in case I break something when removing the reflective layer, as this is my first try on modding.

Alive and well in fucksville

as long as you dont have scratches on the glass it is ok. most backlights come with new film, and you can order new film too. you may need 2 films depending on how you want it to look. what color of backlight do you plan on doing? you can also get biversion kits.
when fixing the display I have always left the rubber strip intact, so I dont know about that.

Last edited by bitjacker (May 8, 2014 5:20 pm)

The Pacific Ocean

By top polarization layer do you mean the actual glass on the screen under where the protector would be? The actual polarization film is under the screen and needs to be removed in order to backlight I t anyway. If you can look past a little scratch I would try it and if not it's good practice anyway and you can just take the backlight from that one and move it to a better one later anyway. I would try on one of the least pretty screens just to practice.  smile

bitjacker wrote:

what color of backlight do you plan on doing? you can also get biversion kits.

I have a green and an orange one. I should also have some smd and dip hex-inverters lying around.

Payday wrote:

By top polarization layer do you mean the actual glass on the screen under where the protector would be?

Yes, as far as I understand it, there is one polarizer on each side of the LCD. But it is possible that one of them is fused with the glass. sad

Payday wrote:

it's good practice anyway and you can just take the backlight from that one and move it to a better one later anyway. I would try on one of the least pretty screens just to practice.

I will try that.

Edit:
It was quite some work to pull it off (the reflective layer wink ). I installed the orange backlight and the result is better than expected.
The visibility is greatly improved and the scratches are actually less visible when the backlight is turned on. smile
I will probably try biversion on the weekend, hope that it will look even better.

Last edited by Eric (May 8, 2014 10:37 pm)