I'm considering modding a Gameboy Pocket with a white backlight and biversion but before I start I'd like to know a couple of things, maybe you guys can help me out.
Which backlight should I purchase so it looks exactly like the one in the picture.
I modded my DMG before (didn't bivert it yet) with a white backlight from nonfinite but it has a somewhat greenish background, will biverting it take care of that and make it totally white?
Second question would be regarding space, does the GBP really have enough space inside to place the biversion chip?
Lastly, if I decide to spray paint it, what brand would you guys recommend?

On a side note and if anyone knows anything about this, I modded a GBA with a backlit LCD, but not only did the screen come with a stuck green pixel it also has a lot of ghosting, is there any way to fix these two issues? I already tried fixing the green pixel by tapping it but that doesn't seem to do anything, I still haven't tried the dead pixel fixer since I don't have a flashcart with me currently.

Last edited by Anubis (May 15, 2014 10:19 am)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:26 am)

The gameboy in that picture is not biverted, or it would have a blue-ish ring around the image on the screen.

Pockets had black LCDs, so they look great just straight up backlit with a white panel.

Apeshit wrote:

The greenish tint actually comes from the DMG's LCD, not the backlight. Any white backlights in a gameboy pocket should look white, as the LCD is a different tint. Biverting may give the screen a subtle blue tone.

You may want to try our Density backlight for the gameboy pocket. We've positioned the wire pads off to the side to allow for a comfortable installation in MGBs.

http://asmretro.com/density-backlight

I'll make sure to check them out. Is there any difference between yours and nonfinite's backlights? Apart from the price.

12ianma wrote:

The gameboy in that picture is not biverted, or it would have a blue-ish ring around the image on the screen.

Pockets had black LCDs, so they look great just straight up backlit with a white panel.

Oh, I just assumed it was considering this guy claimed he had a bivert chip placed: http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.ph … mp;t=12754

Kansas

If you're still sold on the idea of having a nice white LCD in a DMG, several people have successfully transplanted pocket LCDs onto a DMG board. It's fairly difficult and involves individually soldering a lot of small pitch wires though.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread the original post. I thought you were modding a DMG. Disregard that.

Last edited by loudaslife (May 15, 2014 3:06 pm)

Czech republic

I think Kitsch has something very promissing up his sleeve (replacement for the whole DMG LCD / front pcb) which made me postpone all my plans regarding gameboy's LCDs. Hopefully coming soon... just saying.

edit: but you want MGB for it's portability so nevermind

Last edited by ashimoke (May 15, 2014 3:17 pm)