Playboy Man-Baby

I've been using the Windows version of lgpt for a while now and want to move on, and I know there are a few different models of psp as well as other handhelds entirely like gp2x. Can you guys give me the rundown on the different stats for the various handheld options?

I'm not necessarily saying "Tell me objectively what's the one best handheld for it", I'm more looking for an answer similar to the old gameboy comparison page (http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm); just the various pros and cons to using different handhelds for lgpt.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (May 17, 2014 11:27 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/9446/ … acker-faq/

3rd question

UK, Leicester

I use a PSP 3003 so I'll go first

Pros:
Portability
PSPs are hella cheap and easy to get
Long battery life (even longer if you use a 1000 batttery)
Button config works well

Cons:
No midi
Transferring files can be a bit of a pain (can be rectified by installing a file browser, and dumping a large amount of files in a folder on it)
Uses a shitey sometimes stupidly expensive memory card format*

There may be other pros/cons I've missed, and I can't really speak for any other system because I've only ever used it on PSP and PC. However, I do think it works a lot better on PSP than on PC, it feels nicer to use imo

* I have a 4gb one that serves me fine, and isn't quite full even though I have games on it as well

seattle

if you're dead-set on using a handheld, the gp2x is pretty rad, but they're kind of hard to find, can get expensive, and you're kind of shafted if anything breaks on it.

the psp is cool because they're cheap and everywhere, but it doesn't run lgpt natively, so you have to mess around with that to get it to work.

i just use a pc. all your samples are right there, there are more external audio connection options, you don't have to transfer anything back to upload it, etc.

Last edited by seatrash (May 17, 2014 7:14 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada

Use it a lot on psp but with all these latest cfw it is a little bit unstable sometimes...I think the best one are GP2X and Caanoo (if we excluse the win/osx/linux ones)because you can have a MIDI adapter on it !

Playboy Man-Baby
seatrash wrote:

if you're dead-set on using a handheld, the gp2x is pretty rad, but they're kind of hard to find, can get expensive, and you're kind of shafted if anything breaks on it.

the psp is cool because they're cheap and everywhere, but it doesn't run lgpt natively, so you have to mess around with that to get it to work.

i just use a pc. all your samples are right there, there are more external audio connection options, you don't have to transfer anything back to upload it, etc.

It's just kind of awkward to use on the PC, and there's also a small latency issue when in live mode.

I already use 2 EMS carts so having one more handheld I have to transfer stuff between won't kill me.
I think my biggest concerns are A.) battery life  B.) audio output quality and C.) storage capacity, but A and B especially so.

I'm honestly not concerned about midi; I kinda like everything self-contained when I play. If I had the $ for a TeensyBoy then I'd probably be more invested in that.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (May 17, 2014 7:48 pm)

SLC, UT

+1 for PSP. Battery life is great, you could carry extra batteries if you need. I can go probably 8 hours running from the memory card. Storage shouldn't be a problem. I have a 2x microsd to pro duo with 2x sandisk ultra 16 GB cards and and its great. Installing cfw is easy as pie nowadays. Its just an eboot you run. Pretty big  active community as well. I got my 1000 for 20 on eBay.

Taichung, Taiwan

A pc?

Playboy Man-Baby
katsumbhong wrote:

A pc?

Read previous posts

Also, title fixed to prevent this coming up again

Taichung, Taiwan
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

A pc?

Read previous posts

Nah, pc is hardware. Now that you changed the title, it's not an option now.

Playboy Man-Baby
katsumbhong wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Read previous posts

Nah, pc is hardware. Now that you changed the title, it's not an option now.

It never was; read the OP. "Can you guys give me the rundown on the different stats for the various handheld options?"

Playboy Man-Baby
stargazer wrote:

+1 for PSP. Battery life is great, you could carry extra batteries if you need. I can go probably 8 hours running from the memory card. Storage shouldn't be a problem. I have a 2x microsd to pro duo with 2x sandisk ultra 16 GB cards and and its great. Installing cfw is easy as pie nowadays. Its just an eboot you run. Pretty big  active community as well. I got my 1000 for 20 on eBay.

Do the cards still have to be formatted or anything before plugging them and the adapter into the psp?

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (May 18, 2014 3:27 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

I got a 2001 from Gamestop for $50 and a free 1001 from a dude who gamestop wouldn't buy it from. They are absolutely the nicest to use in terms of materials, shape and feel, but because they don't have MIDI and there's a problem right now with creating new projects in the latest versions of LGPT for the PSP, I'm composing primarily on the GP2X.

I also have two GP2Xes, an F100 and an F200. The GP2X feels flimsier than the PSP, but MIDI is a godsend. I FAR prefer the F200, with buttons instead of a thumbstick (at least for piggy).

To answer your question above, I didn't have to do jack when I changed the firmware on my PSP. Put eboots on card, run eboots, done. No formatting, no nothing. Upgrading the GP2X firmware was waaaaay more complicated (and fucked up the TV out on the F100)

West Yorks, UK

gp2x by a mile. if u dont care about midi (lol) then just go PSP, no brainer.