Los Angeles, CA

Just sayin', Arnie's PU2 kick is a fucking game changer as far as pulse kicks go. Not as hard hitting as a WAV kick but it's still pretty fucking beefy if you'd rather take advantage of the WAV channel for other purposes.

Hai, I always use PU2 for punchy kicks, these are my favorites at C5.

Low and crispy kick:

Stereo punched-in-the-face kick (at 50% pulse!):

This one is great with notes below C5 too.

France (au milieu)

cheers!
can't wait to give a try to the stereo one!!

edit:

any suggestion to make a decent PU2 nice and snappy snare ?

Last edited by Sesska (May 26, 2014 2:40 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
kami wrote:

Hai, I always use PU2 for punchy kicks, these are my favorites at C5.

Low and crispy kick:

Stereo punched-in-the-face kick (at 50% pulse!):

This one is great with notes below C5 too.

These are cool! Also made me realize that I should have pointed out that my patches are for GBC.

Any suggestion to make a decent PU2 nice and snappy snare ?

Snappy snares on pulse? I'm sorry to say that doing that is either very hard or basically impossible, snares created on the PU2 (or PU1) channel are likely to sound more like C64 snares, short, kick-like, bleeps.

I assume you are aware of the fact that the noise channel is absolutely AMAZING(!) for snares?

Anyway, I took the liberty to steal this little snare idea from ChainsawPolice:

Play it around D4 and it's gonna sounds "snare-ish", I recommend combining it with a noise channel snare that is about the same length, greatness assured!

France (au milieu)

thanks kami!

very hard or basically impossible

that's what I thought
the idea was to have kick and snare on the same channel, cause I'm too dumb to think them ''separated'' most of the time
But, I love and always use noise snares, though, and will hang on that!

thanks for the patch anyway, will give it a chance this evening (surely layered with noise, the idea sounds very good)
I've read here that pulse snares could be achieved ''playing with high vibratos'' but ain't got a clue about how and where smile)

i'm trying to save the wav channel for bass, as I never actualy managed to get anything good from the ''3 ticks trick''... so, I have to explore the pulse channel a bit more... even if wav kicks still have my preference in terms of sound

Sesska wrote:

Thanks kami!

very hard or basically impossible

Thanks for the patch anyway, will give it a chance this evening (surely layered with noise, the idea sounds very good)
I've read here that pulse snares could be achieved ''playing with high vibratos'' but ain't got a clue about how and where smile

Alright, high vibrato's can in fact deliver a "kscht" sound (you now, like noise channel snares).
I took a few minutes to meddle with it but couldn't quite create what I wanted, anyway, put in these patches and mess around a bit, who knows, you might get a great sound!

The 25% wave channel has the most potential of delivering a nice "kscht" sound, so I'm gonna use that one.
I'm using the K command inside the table, so you can ignore the A1 if you like.

So, here is the table, just put it in and try to mess around in it until you like it.
The transpose gives the snare some depth by changing the pitch, just like an actual snare you it starts fairly high and vibrates to a lower pitch. I don't recommend going underneath, say, E1.

The vibrato causes, well, the speed of the vibration (idk man), changing the first nummer is gonna make it sound a little more like a heavy snare, 6C would be the lowest you could go, FF the highest.

The last W command changes the end to a 50% wave which gives it a bit of a nice ending sound.
It's not perfect but it's the best I managed to do :')

Madriz, Supain

This is my table for "hard" kicks

CMD
PC3
-
-
-
-
PFF
K

Note C5 .

I call it "My second LSDJ.WAV" kick

France (au milieu)

wow... oO

thanks for this!

Sesska wrote:

wow... oO

thanks for this!

No problem! I've send the idea to someone else who is a little bit more experienced with LSDJ, perhaps he can use it to create an actual snare!

France (au milieu)

jellica talked about it already, maybe he will pass by here...