Chicago, IL

Hello! It's been quite a while since I've visited these forums. I have been experimenting with lots of different types of music and I have kind of put chiptune on the back burner. I was wondering if you guys visit any other music communities/forums/subreddits whatever for other genres of music. I've really been into ambient music and house music. All my sessions have been coming out sounding like they belong on a street racing game on the PS2. I was wondering if there was a place to chat with other cats about this type of stuff. Thanks:)

Gosford, Australia

the weeklybeats forum/community is pretty great but not very talkative. and if you're not doing weeklybeats then it's kinda awkward i guess? i dunno! :v

you could try the newgrounds audio forum. there's a lot of cringeworthy shit on there from random kids who pick up a cracked copy of FL or live and want to make "beats", but the regulars are mostly pretty cool though.

USA

Nothing else compares to chipmusic.org other than playing in a band with like minded people.

But I probably feel that way because I'm hella into chipmusic.

I was thinking about putting some of my music in the constructive criticism or releases section and marking it "non-chipmusic" but I wasn't sure how well that would be recieved.

And does guitar/bass/piano/drum/vocals and other classical/traditional instrument stuff fall under the other hardware section?

Maybe the moderators should think about making a "non-chipmusic", " foxhole", "in your life/opinion" or "other interests" section or something? I don't want to bog down the site with a bunch of nonsense but my personal interests have always been more than just chipmusic.

I know for a fact that there are people besides myself on here that make music other than chipmusic and I do value the people on here's opinion more than those from most other forums.

I know this is chipmusic.org and was made to talk about chipmusic but I think talking about other types of music and stuff would be interesting and inspiring.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (May 29, 2014 7:44 am)

IL, US

no uploading of non-chip works allowed on this site's music section
i have lots of interests besides chip, but talking about them isn't really what this site is for, you know?

USA

I do know. Thats why I've done my best to restrain from posting non-chip stuff.

Good thing I have other places to vent my other interests like the live blues jam at a local golf clubhouse that I'll be playing my guitar at tonight.

I think if I brought my DMG to the blues jam the people there wouldn't see it as a serious instrument like I do and I'd have to do something really awesome with it to not get booed off the stage.

Puerto Rico

There's a particular DIY sort of mentality that influences people familiar with chipmusic even in their non chip musical projects. That being said, I'd recommend spending some time on the forums for your DAW/tracker/whatever; on diy musician communities, etc.

Add me on facebook and I'll invite you to the Electronic Musician's Group on facebook, we talk and do compos and stuff, maybe you'll be interested in that?

http://music.electronicmusiciansgroup.com/
http://www.emgradio.com/

SurfaceDragon you could play some blues with it wink

Last edited by Xuriik (May 29, 2014 8:17 pm)

USA

I actually had a wonderful time tonight playing my fender strat at the blues jam. I played crossroads and some other stuff without getting booed off the stage. I did so well that when I asked if I could play original music and lead everyone else during a few songs in the jam next week the powers that be gave me the go ahead. So I'm going to try to put together at least one blues style song that uses a Game Boy probably utilizing Nerdrix or LSDJ. Hopefully I can figure it all out in a week otherwise I'll just be playing some typical old school blues on the guit or slide guit.

Chicago, IL
SurfaceDragon wrote:

Nothing else compares to chipmusic.org other than playing in a band with like minded people.

But I probably feel that way because I'm hella into chipmusic.

I was thinking about putting some of my music in the constructive criticism or releases section and marking it "non-chipmusic" but I wasn't sure how well that would be recieved.

And does guitar/bass/piano/drum/vocals and other classical/traditional instrument stuff fall under the other hardware section?

Maybe the moderators should think about making a "non-chipmusic", " foxhole", "in your life/opinion" or "other interests" section or something? I don't want to bog down the site with a bunch of nonsense but my personal interests have always been more than just chipmusic.

I know for a fact that there are people besides myself on here that make music other than chipmusic and I do value the people on here's opinion more than those from most other forums.

I know this is chipmusic.org and was made to talk about chipmusic but I think talking about other types of music and stuff would be interesting and inspiring.

I know that you guys listen to/know what other genres of music I'm trying to write. The opinion of the chipmusic community is just more valuable to me.

Douglas, Wyoming

Obligatory rip 8bc

Youngstown, OH
SurfaceDragon wrote:

This is so on point. I feel like this site has its downsides and stuff but it honestly feels like everyone is in one big band other times.

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (May 30, 2014 8:05 am)

Helsinki, Finland

I'm sure there are forums like this for pretty much every sort of niche genre. (Well, at least the more "Internet-compatible" ones.) Other places I keep tabs on include emportal.info for 70s flavor analog synth music; spacesynth.net for the kind of stuff you may remember from Laserdance and Koto… No idea about house or ambient specifically though, sorry OP.

Last edited by Tropylium (Jul 4, 2014 9:43 pm)