Youngstown, OH

I'm looking to do more live electronic stuff. Can you guys recommend any good midi keyboards? I'd prefer an 88-key so I can sometimes treat it like a piano but the mark up in price I'm seeing between an 88 and anything else is confusing me.

Can anyone suggest a decent priced 88-ish key? Or if you have something with less keys, do you ever feel restricted by its range?

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (May 29, 2014 4:56 am)

I see some in the $200-400 range.  I don't know if they are any good.  What are you looking to spend?

Gosford, Australia

you could get an alesis q-88 and a korg nanoctrl for half the price of an oxygen 88 and together they would do just about the same amount of stuff.

if you ever use that stuff as a piano then you will hate using 49 key controllers and i think even 61 keys would stifle you fairly often.

Last edited by Victory Road (May 29, 2014 5:58 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

The mark up probably has to do with the "piano action" systems that many 88 key controllers have.

Youngstown, OH
kineticturtle wrote:

The mark up probably has to do with the "piano action" systems that many 88 key controllers have.

Boom, there it is. That makes sense.

Well, maybe I just don't get to play 'em like a piano then. haha thanks dudes

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

i spent around 200 on my m-audio keystation pro used, ups was the worst part but its still in relatively good condition, i would have bought it new but that particular model is discontinued.

I dunno about other boards but mine is relatively heavy, if you are talking about gigging with a weighted keyboard remember if this is something you want to lug around. 

I picked up a king korg last year and it actually has a pretty good synth action.  It doesn't have to be a synth though plenty of boards are out there with velocity sensitivity, after touch, and the other bells and whistles midi keys have. 

USA

I use a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-152S with a midi to usb cable in my home studio. Its totally amazing with a fantastic feel on the weighted keys. Its incredibly responsive and dynamic with one of the most beautiful piano tones that I've ever heard. But its also ridiculously heavy and probably out of your price range because even though mine was made in 1994 its probably still worth about $400-500.(I think it cost a few grand when it was new. I got it from my stepdad who was a professional musician.)

I actually like how heavy it is because it feels solid like an acoustic piano when you play it but its almost too heavy to take to gigs if you don't have anyone to help you carry it.

I've tried a newer Yamaha CLP and I didn't like it as much as my old CLP-152S. It didn't sound or feel as nice and it was all plastic instead of wood.

And on Yamaha CLP pianos(and probably others) the black keys can sometimes have a problem and get hung up by dragging on the key next to it causing a slow return. If you encounter this just grab the key firmly and pull it away from the white key that its dragging on which usually means pull it to the left. I've seen some pianos that should cost thousands but they were being sold for much less because of this problem thats super easy to fix. I'm still kicking myself for fixing one in a thrift store instead of buying it but I'm sure I made some lucky person happy by fixing it.