Hi, new here! big_smile I dont know if something like this has been posted but ive been wondering about the benefits of a usb boy or an arduino boy. From what I can tell the usb boy isnt capable of using two synced DMGs while you can use another link cable for the thursday customs arduino boy. So what are the other benefits of each? Which is your favorite and why? Thanks a bunch!

Puerto Rico

Do you even HAVE two dmg's to sync?

It all depends on which arduinoboy, and what your needs are.

Some aboys have midi thru.

Some are NOT powered by the gameboy, so you need to be replacing a 9v battery every so often or plugging them into a wall socket/your laptop's usb port for power.

Some aren't made with an arduino uno, so if there's ever a new version of the software, it might be harder for you to update it. (Not that that's a necessary thing, the software is stable enough for reliable use, but some people might want new features.)

You can always try to splice the link cable into a Y link cable to (tempo) sync two gameboys to something else.

It depends on your equipment and what you wanna do with it.

Taichung, Taiwan

Are you planning to use midi cables connected to keyboards and synths to sync up with your gameboys in the future?

Alabama

Hey. Tell us why you wish to implement Gameboy + MIDI into your setup so we can best help you choose your device.

For the record, you can use certain off-brand link cables for multi-Gameboy sync with the USB Boy, or roll your own splitter adapter by hand or with a modified DMG07 cable. Works with Arduinoboy or USB Boy.

Im planning to sync to a couple of things. First, I'd like to be able to sync my gameboy to my daw (via midi sport) and im also planning on syncing it with other external hardware such as my nes (via mctrl), some of my synths, and im also using a korg kaoss 3.Im planning to use it for live shows mostly so I need to be sure that im not going to have sync problems.

Last edited by nintendro boy (Jun 8, 2014 2:32 am)

Alabama

If a DAW will be the core of your setup and any of your other gear uses DIN MIDI ports, I suggest you use an Arduinoboy since often you can buy models that feature a MIDI THRU via their MIDI OUT port.

Cool! Thanks a bunch! I'll probably go with the thursday customs arduino boy. Again thanks for helping a noob like me and keep on chipping and all that! big_smile

hey guys, also a newb, just wondering what Arduino boy is used for? Is it kind of like a port to plug dmg's + midi instruments into, to go specifically to a DAW or something like that?

Alabama
gr3yh4m3 wrote:

hey guys, also a newb, just wondering what Arduino boy is used for? Is it kind of like a port to plug dmg's + midi instruments into, to go specifically to a DAW or something like that?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arduinoboy&l=1

MaxDolensky wrote:
gr3yh4m3 wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arduinoboy&l=1

hey thanks smile although the 'about' section in that wasn't very detailed, and i'm notoriously slow on figuring things out - but from what I think i understand is it basically the way to convert your song from lsdj into midi data?

gr3yh4m3 wrote:

hey thanks smile although the 'about' section in that wasn't very detailed, and i'm notoriously slow on figuring things out - but from what I think i understand is it basically the way to convert your song from lsdj into midi data?

it's a device for syncing between for example your lsdj to a drumcomputer.
or sending midi notes to lsdj or mgb.
or sending midi notes from lsdj to a synth.

converting your whole lsdj song into midi would be a bit hard tho...

Timbob wrote:
gr3yh4m3 wrote:

it's a device for syncing between for example your lsdj to a drumcomputer.
or sending midi notes to lsdj or mgb.
or sending midi notes from lsdj to a synth.

converting your whole lsdj song into midi would be a bit hard tho...

oh ok, thanks!
And sorry for the thread jacking.

No prob! There an awesome little device for LSDJ users and the only pre-built ones ive found are here (http://www.thursdaycustoms.com/product/ … rduino-boy) I love the nes pad design that looks like a certain nes midi device...