Michigan

I just though of something, and being without my Gameboy makes it hard to prove, but can you run a table from a table. Say, for instance, I wanted to start a pulse instument at V00 and slowly grow the V command over 3 or 4 tables to VF6 and then return to V00. My brain says yes, but I can't ask my gameboy.

What do you think?

I'm shooting for a dynamic grit similar to some sid sounds without using a pwm wav synth. I already have one drawn in the project I'd be using this idea with. Just throwing out an idea that popped into the noggin.

Los Angeles, CA

You don't really NEED to run a table from a table in this instance.  You can use a G command in a table to make the table run slower, conserve tables and make it less confusing to edit as well.

Seattle, WA

A commands let you jump to other tables from within tables.

Michigan
Mrwimmer wrote:

You don't really NEED to run a table from a table in this instance.  You can use a G command in a table to make the table run slower, conserve tables and make it less confusing to edit as well.

Right on man! I wasn't sure if putting a g command in would make the entire song's groove slow down. That's actually helpful for more situations other than just this one. Is it posibble to do a swell like that or do the V commands stack? Like, would a VF1 after a VF4 actually sound like VF5?

Los Angeles, CA

V commands don't stack at all, you can totally do a swell!  I use it for basically every single table ever.  Arps especially.

Michigan

What have I been doing all this time?! I guess that's what 8 months of lsdj gets you. A really limited knowledge of awesome code. Man, I feel like such a dingus.

Michigan
Mrwimmer wrote:

V commands don't stack at all, you can totally do a swell!  I use it for basically every single table ever.  Arps especially.

What have I been doing all this time?! I guess that's what 8 months of lsdj gets you. A really limited knowledge of awesome code. I feel like such a dingus.

How far do you stretch your second value?

What the heck double post?

Last edited by infodrive (Jun 18, 2014 2:28 am)

Los Angeles, CA

Also, remember that the grove only affects the one channel, not the whole song wink

Playboy Man-Baby

So some people prevent wraparound either with the G command, but many others just send their table to an empty table  with A (because a slower groove on the table may mess with the other stuff in your table, like arps), but today I accidentally discovered that you can actually prevent effect wraparound without forcing a perfectly good table to be empty (only tables 00-1F are useable so conservation can be crucial) by actually sending the end of a table to a table that doesn't exist, like A20. Ex: let's say you have a noise instrument that uses table 03, using the TSP column to make a "ptchooo" sound shifting downward, and you want it to hold on a certain frequency, but you don't want to waste tables by sending 03 to 04 just to hold a pitch. You can actually send table 03 to a nonexistent table and it'll sustain the pitch.

Seattle, WA
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

So some people prevent wraparound either with the G command, but many others just send their table to an empty table  with A (because a slower groove on the table may mess with the other stuff in your table, like arps), but today I accidentally discovered that you can actually prevent effect wraparound without forcing a perfectly good table to be empty (only tables 00-1F are useable so conservation can be crucial) by actually sending the end of a table to a table that doesn't exist, like A20. Ex: let's say you have a noise instrument that uses table 03, using the TSP column to make a "ptchooo" sound shifting downward, and you want it to hold on a certain frequency, but you don't want to waste tables by sending 03 to 04 just to hold a pitch. You can actually send table 03 to a nonexistent table and it'll sustain the pitch.

Or you could always put a H0E on the bottom of that table. Which I do both for the pun and because it has the desired effect.

Playboy Man-Baby
Dire Hit wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Or you could always put a H0E on the bottom of that table. Which I do both for the pun and because it has the desired effect.

Also a viable option. I suppose neither takes up any more space.

Where's the pun, though? It just spells "hoe" without any context.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Jun 18, 2014 6:09 am)

France (au milieu)

I feel like such a dingus

...you're not alone sad

Puerto Rico

Most people here already helped with the answer (Hey, Invisible Robot Hands, thanks for the tip. I've been using A00 as my empty table for months!)

But, wouldn't the climb to VF6 be smoother if done over 2 or 3 fast tables, rather than a single table slowed down by a G command? Wouldn't having only 16 steps (15, if using the H0E trick) for the vibrato slide would make it a somewhat jagged slide into the deeper and faster vibrato? although at higher BPM's it probably wouldn't matter as much I guess.

Matthew Joseph Payne

The other thing you can do is use the first digit of the Hxx command which sets a number of repeats back to the line of the second digit... so for example HF0 on line 1 would repeat the first step F times, then put a higher V value on line 2 then HF2 on line 3...

It doesn't allow for a particularly fine resolution in your vibrato sweep since every other step is taken up by H commands, but in most cases I find that the difference is negligible if noticeable at all.