The OnePlus One is a Nexus-killer smartphone. Strictly better specs compared to the Nexus at a cheaper (unlocked) price point. It's slated to come out in Q3, but invites periodically roll out to people in advance. For the next 3 days they are giving away 2500 invites. My boss and I both really want one.

I figure this can be a thread discussing the 1+1 and maybe swap some invites otherwise. Anyone have this glorious piece of tech?

Arad, Romania

I wasn't planning on getting a fancy smartphone because I don't have the money, but this thing seems really worth it. I'll just have to wait until it goes on sale in my country and I'll get one if I have the money.

SLC, UT

What exactly does an "invite" get you? Is it like a closed pre order? Or just a place in line when they're ready to ship? And wasn't this supposed to be out already?

It's a closed preorder.  I believe you will also get it early.  Closer to a beta program.  The phone has been delayed due to higher than anticipated demand and software issues.  Invites are ramping up as they approach a shipping date, though.

Last edited by Beware (Jun 21, 2014 4:51 pm)

SLC, UT

Maybe I'm disillusioned but from what I've seen hype + hardware + taking money early = a pretty bad experience. I guess time will tell. I too am interested in this device, but only passively until I can buy one on amazon.

It's from Oppo.  They are a very well reputed manufacturer.  The phone exists, people have it. I don't believe they take your money until they are shipping your unit.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Beware wrote:

It's from Oppo.  They are a very well reputed manufacturer.  The phone exists, people have it. I don't believe they take your money until they are shipping your unit.

OnePlus is not the same company as Oppo, it was formed by the former VP of Oppo but doesn't have any other connections.

Arad, Romania
stargazer wrote:

Maybe I'm disillusioned but from what I've seen hype + hardware + taking money early = a pretty bad experience. I guess time will tell. I too am interested in this device, but only passively until I can buy one on amazon.

There are plenty of (p)reviews on YouTube.

babylon

its interesting that this uses cyanogen. ive always used ios since its the only real option for music apps. does cynanogen have any improvements over normal android os's that might make creating music apps more appealing for that platform?

SLC, UT
jefftheworld wrote:
Beware wrote:

OnePlus is not the same company as Oppo, it was formed by the former VP of Oppo but doesn't have any other connections.

I thought there was a whole conspiracy about that and they figured out it was indeed made by Oppo, but they tried to hide it for branding reasons?

qb wrote:
stargazer wrote:

There are plenty of (p)reviews on YouTube.

That doesn't mean a ton though. Getting a few phones to some reviewers is a lot easier than launching and distributing hundreds of thousands of devices. I'm not saying it won't come out or exist, but I would not be surprised at all if there are more delays, price increases, or spec cuts. And with I/O around the corner, the viability of a product like this has the potential to get shaken up quite a bit depending on what's announced. Like I said, time will tell. I don't think anyone should NOT preorder one. I just personally will not be.

walter b. gentle wrote:

its interesting that this uses cyanogen. ive always used ios since its the only real option for music apps. does cynanogen have any improvements over normal android os's that might make creating music apps more appealing for that platform?

Not really. It's still android at the end of the day, just tweaked a little bit. System level drivers and such remain mostly unchanged. I'm crossing my fingers android 5 will be eliminating Java and other bloat-y parts of android. Who knows though.

Well on the Android roadmap there is a plan to fix up the Go language and replace the Java core with it.  I still doubt we're going to see the sort of crazy developments for Android that iOS has.  The medical capabilities of my iPad blow my mind regularly.

Im pretty sure they are already in the wild.  People who got invites, I believe, have them already.  It's a company with a reputation and I find it hard to believe that anything short of the next Nexus will offer the price to performance ratio of the 1+1.

Last edited by Beware (Jun 22, 2014 3:37 pm)

did your startup invent this phone or something

meet the man who married mary jane

matt's mind

how does this relate to the purpose of this website (i.e., chip music)?

even generally speaking...

or music at all.

?

________

____

__

_

Boise, ID
kitsch wrote:

how does this relate to the purpose of this website (i.e., chip music)?

even generally speaking...

or music at all.

?

________

____

__

_

that's kind of what I was thinking .-.

matt's mind

well, yeah.  so, imma close this thread now.  OP, feel free to PM me (or any other mod/admin) if this actually relates to this website at all and I'm overlooking it perhaps...  if you'll look through the 'general discussion' section, you'll see that its not an off-topic section.