It always annoy me when a reviewer would erroneously bash a game's soundtrack just because the game is bad. Anyone have any soundtrack favorites from games you consider subpar or games just so obscure that no one recognizes them?

I've always had a spot for the NES Spiderman music even though the game was wonky.

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon - okay, in my opinion, this isn't even a bad game. I think it just gets its bad rep because of its cutscenes.

This game surpassed my expectations, but Rambo for NES is usually panned by people. And the level theme rocks!

Although the port of Sonic The Hedgehog was bad for GBA, I liked the instrument choices in Marble Zone.

Silver surfer for the nes.
Rocking soundtrack... Impossible gameplay.

Michigan

Well, Legend of the Ghost Lion for nes has some dreamy tunes that seem to heavily favor echos. It's not actually that bad, but I remember hearing the battle music way too much.

Whomp 'Em was a family favorite and also had some strange, yet interesting, jams. I feel like people know about this one. I've seen some mixed reviews on it.

The Mafat Conspiracy if my memory serves me well, was an absolute nightmare to play. I loved the music, but the gameplay was atrocious. I was also very young.

While not terrible, I thought that Nintendo World Cup had some bangers. Same goes for Little Nemo. I still like the movie better than the game, though.

Maybe some Faxanadu, though I think that has gained some popularity. I always felt like the physics sucked in that game.

Some of Codmaster's stuff was meh on the gameplay, but they did pretty good with music. This was a pretty good example.

Last edited by infodrive (Jul 9, 2014 7:04 am)

pokemon is a really fun game taht everyone of a certain age played in their childhood but if you take out the nostalgia factor a lot of the songs are just plain unlistenable

i dont remember anything about toejam and earl panick on funkotron being good apart from the amazing soundtrack

theres also hal's hole in one golf which ive never played but is probably bad because its a golf game, but has a great soundtrack

and barbie super model for the megadrive

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:27 pm)

Pictionary. The game is... Pictionary.
The music is awesome!
Same composer as Silver Surfer i'm told.

Friday 13 on NES, damn son.

A lot of people seem to think the Cheetahmen soundtrack is the only good thing about the game.

I guess compared to the game play, the graphics, the everything else, the music is superb, but it's still not all that great, in my opinion. The music, when considered apart from it's realization on an NES, is nice, but the programmers don't do much with the sound chip besides beeps and shit.

Last edited by Vaina Moinen (Jul 10, 2014 2:42 pm)

BK
Gegueure wrote:

The music is awesome!

Yeah, and Silver Surfer is definitely another bad game/awesome soundtrack combo.

buffalo, NY
Kris k wrote:
Gegueure wrote:

The music is awesome!

Yeah, and Silver Surfer is definitely another bad game/awesome soundtrack combo.

yup, Tim Follin

He also did Treasure Master, which is fucking bonkers. 

He did a goddamn crossfade, on an NES.  A crossfade. on an NES.  at 0:55 seconds

also, dat box art

Last edited by danimal cannon (Jul 10, 2014 8:32 pm)

infodrive wrote:

The Mafat Conspiracy if my memory serves me well, was an absolute nightmare to play. I loved the music, but the gameplay was atrocious. I was also very young.

It was much more playable than its predecessor, Top Secret Episode. Though I liked Top Secret Episode's more intricate storyline better.

Jotie wrote:

Friday 13 on NES, damn son.

I wish someone would do a piano rendition of that!

One of the worst games I've played for the NES, X-Men has some music I really like in it, particularly the Practice Theme.

Playboy Man-Baby

Follin also did the music to Solstice which is a wretched game. This song is a banger though.

how come Solstice is suddenly a wretched game?

it's a wonderful C64 style adventure

i feel like most modern games have either really anonymous ambient beats soundtracks with the occasional brass blare
cod classical goblin slaying music
or radio stations made up of hits we're all already sick of
and it's only occasionally that you still hear proper VGM style music coming out of an xbox or ps whatever

Newcastle - UK

Wow these Tim Follin tracks are awesome!

Don't know if you use it, but I listen to a lot of VGM on Shaun Inman's iOS app, 'NoiseES' - The music he recommends from 'Project S11' is awesome!

detroit

wasn't silver surfer written by tim & geoff follin ?