Hello,
I've got a job where i basically have nothing to do all day, so I'm learning C to teach myself to program gameboy roms, and i thought, why not, let's ressurect my old gameboy cart guide from back in the 8bc days.

What's this guide about?
:: This is basically a list of all sorts of different coloured and shaped gameboy carts

Why?
:: My job is reallly boring

Is it complete?
:: Far from, and it probably never will, but it's fun to do, so why not

Where can see the old version of the guide?
:: Here's a backup: http://www.timbob.nl/carts/cart%20guide.htm

Alright, let's begin... We'll start with everything that'll fit into the DMG...

------------------
NOTE: THIS GUIDE IS FAR FROM COMPLETE NOW, I KNOW. IT'S A WORK IN PROGRESS
------------------

Official Gameboy Games

Grey

Just your normal cart. most of the games have this one.
here featured: kirbey's block ball. Nothing special here.

Black

Black carts where used for gameboy colour games that also could be played on the DMG. examples: zelda DX, Tetris DX.
Black carts where also used for the pokemon trading card game. (as well as a lot more japanese games, I came to find out later)

Red

Used for pokemon red.

Blue

Used for pokemon blue

Yellow

Used for pokemon yellow and at least 2 donkey kong land games and the Tamagotchi yellow game.

Silver (grey with sprinkles)

Used for pokemon silver. Is a grey cart with some glitters

Gold

Used for... you guessed it, Pokemon gold! It's gold coloured with gold coloured golden sparkles.*

Grey & Blue

The japanese versions of pokemon Gold & Silver where both half blue, half grey. both slightly darker than the normal grey and the pokemo blue cart. (pokemon silver has a grey front and a blue back, pokemon gold vice versa)

White

The white cart was used for the white edition of the tamagotchi game, and also as a blank memory cart, GBメモリ. These carts could be loaded with games at special stores.

Pink!

OMG! it's like.. Pink! (and it has a tamagotchi game on it). On the right is a 'power rangers the movie' game, also in a pink cart. Probably the same pink as the tamagotchi one, but not 100% sure.

The pink carts where used by Bandai, and might be used for more games than these two..

Light blue

This is a tamagotchi game with added sound module. The sound thingy wakes you up in the middle of the night when your tamagotchi is hungry, even if your gameboy is turned off...

Black with Rumblepack

Pokemon pinball has a rumblepack on top of the gamecart. It vibrates and stuff.

Gameboy Camera

The Game Boy Camera comes in five different standard colors: blue, green, red, yellow and clear purple (Japan only). There was also a limited edition gold The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time version, which contains different stamps from the standard versions and was available only in the USA through a mail order offer from Nintendo Power.
The Japanese versions had different software (mainly different stickers) and a different name. They where called Pocket Camera.

Front of a Japanese (left) and an American / European / anywhere else (right) camera.
Notice the different name on the stickers.

Black

ROBOPON! It's like pokemon, but with robots. The cart is extra large because on the top it contains an infra red sensor.

Gameboy color games that'll fit into a DMG

Transparent Pink

Kirby Tilt n Tumble game.. although it's a gameboy colour game, it does have a notch for DMGs.

Transparent with Rumblepack

Star Wars racinggame with rublepack. Will fit into a DMG but is a GBC game

Unofficial / bootleg / etc

Various colours

Sachen is a company that made third party games for various systems, including the gameboy. There are as far as I can find two different versions of the cart, as you can see above. Both have a small upstanding ridge at the end, helping you to remove the game from the gameboy. I also found a yellow version online once, may have come in more colours. (pictures and more info here)

Various colours

Wisdom tree made christian games for various system. For the gameboy they released games like "Joshua, the battle of Jericho", spiritual Wars, a version of the king james bible, and probably a lot more. The cart has a different shape than normal games, and as far I can find, came in black and brown.

Various colours

For the gameboy color, various bootleg games where produced with normal DMG-cart cases in different colours. Will fit in a DMG but only displays a note saying you can only play it on the GBC. I found 2 of these carts so far, but there are probably more. the colours are not the same as regular DMG colours. posted above:
Dark blue normal DMG cart with Action Man game. And Super Mario Bros. Deluxe in a green DMG game casing. Also a color game. It's kinda hard to see what shade of green it is, but it's green, and that's what counts.

Dark green

Bootleg edition of pokemon green.

Grey

Bootleg games, doesn't say nintendo gameboy on the cart, just GAME, which is kinda funny. There where also carts made with just a dent at the top with no text.

Grey, XL

Big Ass gamecart. With 150 games on it. Some bootleg carts where a bit bigger to put more games on it, I guess... Looks silly. of these higher carts various shapes are made.
This one also has a reset button, which comes in handy when switching games.

third party / non-gaming functions

Nanoloop (different colours)

› Show Spoiler

The music program we all know and love. I posted them in the spoiler for now, since the pics are quite big... nanoloop came mainly in non-standard game cases, with different colours for each version.

Black with a yellow top

Smart Com cart. Contains all kinds of useful programs like calender and phonebook etc... Also has a way of communicating with Infra Red (can also be used as tv-remote, says website)
more info here

Gray / transparent

Different versions of the Action Replay cart (and Action Replay Pro). These where cheat carts you could put in your gameboy, and plug a gameboy game into the extra slot. Used for stuff like extra lives and other trickery.

Gray

The Game Genie. Also a cheat cartridge, maybe more known. For more info and pics about this cart see this page.

Gray

Gameboy test cartridge. Does what it says on the label; it contains a selection of  tools for testing your gameboy. More info in this thread.

Grey

Gameboy Radio. Not realy a game. Basically a radio that uses the gameboy's power to run. The screen of the gameboy only displays a logo-bar.

black

Cleaning cart for the gameboy. It cleans the contacts and keeps it fresh. Probably would work on a GBC as well...

----------------------

Pictures stolen from: superbustysamuraimonkey, FamiKiller, drop1410, Google, ttocs, NeX, And other sources I can't remember...

If you know of any other gamecart / add-on that isn't listed? (like the gamesharks, pokemon pinball, freakishly large bootlegs, etc.) post it, and I'll add them.

----------------------

*might not contain real gold
Last edited by Timbob (April 21, 2010 10:14 am)

----------------------

Alright, so far for most of the copy/paste work. Now for the long task of updating and making it look pretty.
Any additions are always welcome. I'll continue with adding the pics that where posted in the old thread.

addendum:
Go and take a look at Drop1410's page here:
http://www.gameboycarts.com/
He has a wide selection of interesting gameboy carts with really nice photo's, and an interesting write up about them.

Last edited by Timbob (Jul 16, 2014 8:28 am)

This post is reserved for the different types of gameboy color carts. Updates will follow

It's also far from complete, as there is only one picture...
but it's green, so yay.

Last edited by Timbob (Jul 8, 2014 9:45 am)

Post for I dunno, maybe GBA carts?

Great to see this is being resurrected.  I have enjoyed reading the old version.

Nanoloop Cartridges

Edit: Timbob added these images to the top post, so I have removed them from here.

Last edited by rvan (Jul 9, 2014 9:56 am)

Ah, that's a good one, I got a nanoloop 1.0 cart as well, Should add those.
thanks!

Florida

There's this clear blue cart. It's CGB tho

Boy Without Batteries wrote:

[image]

looks interesting tho.. what does it do? looks like some kind of organiser thing.
I won't start on the CGB part just yet.. I'll focus on DMG first

I updated the main post, added nanoloop, and did some text editing.
Right now, I'm collecting more photo's to add to this post. probably next addition:

• gameboy camera gold
• game genies and game sharks (and other cheat / save devices)
• Robopon
• Sachen games
• Various EMS carts and other flash carts
• those bible games (wisom tree)

if anybody has anything to add, let me know smile

And after that: gb color and gba...

Last edited by Timbob (Jul 10, 2014 10:40 pm)

London

some ideas what to add to this guide.

-pokemon crystal
-japanese pokemon crystal (photo of the backside of cart)
-gameboy camera gold
-yoshis universal gravitation
-drill dozer
-boktai

NightRaven wrote:

some ideas what to add to this guide.

-pokemon crystal
-japanese pokemon crystal (photo of the backside of cart)
-gameboy camera gold
-yoshis universal gravitation
-drill dozer
-boktai

gameboy gold is on my list, i got some pics, just need to edit them in size etc.

the others are color and GBA carts, which will be added maybe later, if this job goes on long enough big_smile
interesting list tho.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Don't forget the ASM shells - green (first prototype MCB5), clear (second), purple (fightercart) and red (xmas cart).

Florida
Timbob wrote:
Boy Without Batteries wrote:

[image]

looks interesting tho.. what does it do? looks like some kind of organiser thing.
I won't start on the CGB part just yet.. I'll focus on DMG first

The clear blue carts were for games compatible with the CGB Mobile Adapter. I have a golf game lying around somewhere that uses the mobile adapter. More info here -> http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ … Adapter_GB

London

Also chee chai alien. Its a color one too, i know but its also a rumble cart. Orange and black tranaparent. Very sexy looking one. Similar to daiei versions of some consoles. Hopefully i will get one soon, i can make a few pic then if u need for the collection.

Will you be adding the Nanoloop one (and maybe two) carts?

buffalo, NY

theres a gold zelda gameboy camera too

danimal cannon wrote:

theres a gold zelda gameboy camera too

I know, that's why I posted it in my to do list wink
I still want one tho.