Hello Interwebs,

I have been producing House music for a few years and have decided I want to switch things over to Chip Music. Unfortunately, I really don't know where to start. I have been following many chip artists for a while and blah blah you get it...

The very first chiptunes I made were in Ableton using samples from a Sega Genesis, but I want to do it for real ("I hear your band is buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and throwing you computer out the window... you want to make something real..." quote james murphy)

I haz:
4 x Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Nintendo DS
Atari 2600
Sega Genesis

I see that many people use vintage computers (Amiga, c64, zx spectrum, etc.) Should I buy/emulate one of these?

Anything to point me in the right direction.

Alive and well in fucksville

frontlight (get a junked out gba sp ags-001) and bass mod the gameboy color, buy a derpcart, get lsdj.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jul 22, 2014 3:35 pm)

If you are used to working in a DAW, working with LSDJ may be a little strange for you to transition into.  I've only recently started learning how to compose with trackers myself (I came from a DAW background) and what really helped me make the transition was FamiTracker.  The interface with trackers all seem to be similar, but having the ability to work out the kinks and learn the ropes on a computer that emulates the hardware before venturing outside the comfort of using my PC has made it a lot easier to transition into.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

I would say to try out the PC trackers first, before dumping too much cash. Alot of the native tools for systems also run on PCs one way or another, so you can get a god feel for the workflow and sound.
You got some systems to start with, the
GB and DS are a no brainer to track on. A little harder for the A2600 and Genny, pretty much have to compile songs on PC for playback on those systems, but cound get a SynthCart for Atari and the midi kit.
Welcome aboard,
yogi

Los Angeles, CA

If you're familiar with step sequencers at all, give nanoloop a try!  Not my cup of tea, but might be a good place to start off.  Try out the demo in your gameboy emulator of choice.

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:45 am)

perth, WA

i moved from DAWs to LSDJ too.

I never managed to get my head around Nanoloop or Famitracker, but ymmv.

California

The DS also has Nitrotracker which is basically a port of the great DOS tracker Fasttracker II.

Like yogi, I also recommend trying out some PC trackers first before you go out and buy a flash cartridge if you plan to do more than just Gameboy music with LSDJ because compared to other trackers, LSDJ is kinda weird and I think it's much easier to learn it after already becoming familiar with the tracker interface, but that's just me.

France (au milieu)
atomsmasha wrote:

i moved from DAWs to LSDJ too.

I never managed to get my head around Nanoloop or Famitracker, but ymmv.

same for me
LSDJ reminds a lot of good old ''rebirth2'', but with digits instead of buttons... and more possibilities...

If you have the cash for 4 flashcarts you could have an entire Gameboy symphony.

well, 1card is far enough to get started at my sense... you can work on quite a while before seing 1xLSDJ limits...

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:45 am)

Michigan

I went from using step sequencers to trackers and the switch was difficult, but not impossible. I'd say 40 bucks for an ems cart plus the donation for lsdj is a good, cheap, and fun place to start. I write most of my stuff on an unmodded dmg and record using a prosounded color.

Here's an example of what my prosound w/o bass mod color sounded like with light mastering.

The Chase

France (au milieu)
infodrive wrote:

I write most of my stuff on an unmodded dmg

same for me, and the more it goes, the less I feel like modding it or getting to 2xLSDJ...

using four Gameboys simultaneously could have amazing results. smile

what a job though, to think/coordinate everything!! oO

2 would be a dreamy thing, as I'm in love with both Wave kicks AND Waves Bass

the 3/3 tiks trick works well, but often finds its limit with long lasting bass notes that get cut by next coming kick... and the fact that it's hard to ''cut the bass line'' in a live spirit

have to live with ''average sounding'' pulse bass then, that's the sad part of 8bit's life smile

Last edited by Sesska (Jul 23, 2014 8:34 am)

Boulder, CO

If you want to do it for real just mod everything and don't actually make music.

If you're interested in making music then just get Plogue Chipsounds and continue to use your DAW. Nobody cares where it was made, what matters is the quality of your music.

http://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds/

Montreal, Canada

Chipmusic in five easy steps:

1) Get a gameboy moded. If you spend less than 300 bucks in parts, it's not chipmusic.
2) Get a CMO account and ask what is chip music.
3) Get familiar with this spiral: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10613 … ty/page/3/
4) Post about how you want to make this community and chipmusic known to the world and how your youtube channel is going to change all our lives
5) Give up on all the bullshit, make some music, post it on bandcamp, be happy if you make 20$ with it.

big_smile

Ohio, USA
n00bstar wrote:

Chipmusic in five easy steps:

1) Get a gameboy moded. If you spend less than 300 bucks in parts, it's not chipmusic.
2) Get a CMO account and ask what is chip music.
3) Get familiar with this spiral: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10613 … ty/page/3/
4) Post about how you want to make this community and chipmusic known to the world and how your youtube channel is going to change all our lives
5) Give up on all the bullshit, make some music, post it on bandcamp, be happy if you make 20$ with it.

big_smile

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get ahold of a lsdj and a modded gameboy (or do it myself). Maybe in a few months i'll have some cool music.