astral cat

I think this would be really cool and useful smile

any chance?

WinAmp plugins?

Actually, there's already a flash and java modplayer out there. haven't seen much on it and I doubt it'd get incorporated into the site.

So I'd just download songs and keep a few players handy.

Don't know about NSF or SPC and all of that. I doubt there's a flashplayer for that sort of thing.

Last edited by arlen (Apr 29, 2010 11:32 pm)

astral cat

just thought it would be pretty nice to have, but maybe i'm just being too fussy tongue

uhajdafdfdfa

ant1's genius idea was server-side conversion to mp3 using BASS and whatever other libraries, and then a flash player that we already have playing mp3s. big_smile

edit: but it doesn't matter, people should convert to mp3 at home. I'd like to see uploads restricted to mp3-only, personally.

Last edited by ant1 (Apr 30, 2010 9:16 am)

Sweden

@ant1
That certainly would help consumability, but I like the idea of being able to download a module/binary/log of the music, too. I haven't really checked out how it works now, but an option to include both in a music entry would be cool.

Last edited by boomlinde (Apr 30, 2010 11:14 am)

astral cat
boomlinde wrote:

but an option to include both in a music entry would be cool.

this could be the answer! like an option to "download mp3" and "download MOD" ect!

uhajdafdfdfa

It doesn't answer the question of where the mp3 comes from, though, so it's not really the answer at all! tongue

A gray world of dread

I like how BotB does this. Anyone can upload renders of a track, if the author doesn't do it himself, while the song page offers download links for either and a player when a mp3 is present.

uhajdafdfdfa

Fairly open to abuse, being able to attribute any mp3 you want to someone else. I could, say, upload some half-assed NES trance cover of "Agadoo" which uses only one channel to match someone's 6 minute VRC7 masterpiece. It would need a pretty close eye kept on it since we shouldn't trust the entire internet to be sensible all the time. smile

A gray world of dread

Well, it doesn't have to be that open. A second upload slot for native formats should be sufficient, and the author can decide whether to upload an mp3 along with it or not. I used to be pro site-player for modules, but I'm not too sure anymore if a server-side player is really neccessary. People who download mods are usually interested in either the structure or genuine sound, and thus should have more dedicated players/tools/hardware than a java applet or something could hope to offer.

Server rendering is hmmm too, because I imagine people to be picky about their recording/rendering settings. Interpolation, yes or no? Quality settings of the renderer? etc etc

uhajdafdfdfa

All uploads to be mp3, but another (optional) slot for source/whatever is a nice idea. smile

Sweeeeeeden

Just being able to upload other formats would be great. But the site development has been on hiatus ever after the initial boost.

Los Angeles

Because of all the drama and issues.

no wait, its laziness. maybe, or maybe someone else can do it. damn it I need free time with no end of work in sight.

/me explodes

Brazil

All work and no play makes trash80 a dull boy.