Hello

I recently got my hands on one of the rare GBA SP with backlight and to my surprise, the otherwise so reliable nanoloop one (with version 1.6.3 and 1.7) can't save on this unit, it just hangs.

Has anyone tried nanoloop one on this model?

Oliver

EDIT: It turned out the cart wasn't plugged in completely, now it works fine.

Last edited by oliver (Jul 25, 2014 6:03 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Unrelated but:

How are you getting the gameboy to recognize the cart? I've not been able to use ONE carts in sp or game cube adapter because it doesn't hit the gba/gb switch.

Last edited by egr (Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm)

I never tried it in the Game Cube. On GBA it's fine. On my old SP you need to re-plug it and shift it to one side sometimes to get it to work, but that's because the cart slot is rather worn out (I stuffed in some too thick and too wide experimental PCBs).
On my new backlit SP, when the cart seems to sit in the slot rather tight already, you have to push it with some force to fit it in all the way. Then it always works.

Last edited by oliver (Jul 25, 2014 5:11 pm)

I tried it (1.6.x) with my AGS-101 and it did freeze as well. Strange!
As for cart insertion, yeah shifting it to a side or pulling it out slightly does the trick (same goes for gamecube gameboy player)

Last edited by _-_- (Jul 25, 2014 5:14 pm)

NorthTtrrrway

the switch that sets the electricity levels for gba or gb carts is i think on the right.
i insert the cart a bit pushing on that side and it usually works.
you could also stick something on the side of the cart if you think you will use it a lot with an sp.
i modified a gamester adapter that you can use for inserting 3 carts.
this way, the sp is more ergonomic in the hands and the cart sticks out behind the screen, instead of the normal clumsiness the sp can be.

i tried nl17 on my ags101 and i couldn't manage to make it stuck (at first).
i quickly randomised all channels full of sounds and let to run for some time. all good, all in time.

BUT it seems to loose track specifically if you use delays.
without delays, it all goes fine. with even a couple of delays, the sp slows down.
the same way an original gb would slow down if you overload it with tables on high bpm on lsdj.

the resulting sequences are quite interesting in a way though smile

Last edited by the mist toggles (Jul 25, 2014 5:49 pm)

OK, problem solved. You just have to stick it in all the way, then it works and can save. I don't have any issues with delays. Do you mean the whole thing slows down?

Last edited by oliver (Jul 25, 2014 6:02 pm)

NorthTtrrrway

i can save, yes. on blank cells and i can overwrite existing.
rebooting  the sp didn't make the saves disappear either.

funny thing is, after saving, it seems to be more stable.

edit: timing smile i quoted the one below, but answered to the one before you edited.
when it slows down it simply seems to struggle with the information overload.
so, it slows down to 'pass the tough steps' of the sequence, in a way.

but after saving it seems to be fine.
ram issue?

oliver wrote:

OK, problem solved. You just have to stick it in all the way, then it works and can save. I don't have any issues with delays. Do you mean the whole thing slows down?

Last edited by the mist toggles (Jul 25, 2014 6:09 pm)

There should be no such a thing like a "slowdown because of a struggle with the information overload" or a "RAM issue" in 1.7. I tried patterns with all steps filled @ 120 bpm and various combinations of delays, but tempo always stays accurate. Of course the delayed notes are, well, delayed, which may sound like an overall slowdown.

Could you describe in detail what you did to get this slowdown effect? Thank you.

IL, US

only at 120? go faster, i need to hear some o.w. breakcore eventually

At 120 it is is easy to measure because steps are 1/8 second long (record a few seconds, select 1/4 second and fast-scroll). But that of course works as well @ 240 BPM. Or 480 BPM. 960 may be instable with all the delays though.

IL, US

hahaha.... there was a running joke with me & albino ghost monkey about 960bpm, one of our friends was obsessed with writing in 960... one of the betas of 2.3 hit 9600, if i remember correctly smile

NorthTtrrrway

the quickest way to reproduce that slow down behaviour is:
noise channel->pan param->a+b+down to create random steps->a+b+up for rand values
r channel->same as for noise (above)

all seems fine on 120, but if you go to 116 or below and 160 or higher, then the slow behaviour starts.
it actually happens to steps with extreme delay values.
so, it looks as if the delay of noise stops the sequencer for a bit, even if the delay in r is not long.

the same happens when i tried the saved pattern on a classic GB.

Besides that though, this version is very fun and refreshing smile

oliver wrote:

There should be no such a thing like a "slowdown because of a struggle with the information overload" or a "RAM issue" in 1.7. I tried patterns with all steps filled @ 120 bpm and various combinations of delays, but tempo always stays accurate. Of course the delayed notes are, well, delayed, which may sound like an overall slowdown.

Could you describe in detail what you did to get this slowdown effect? Thank you.

Last edited by the mist toggles (Jul 26, 2014 5:55 am)

From what I can see, this only happens when delay is set to the maximum. I guess that at certain tempos, the delay is longer than one step and it somehow waits for the next step or for some value to overflow. Should be easy to fix.

NorthTtrrrway

if this is the only case it happens and its stable in this behaviour, it could also be a nice alternative for odd sequences.

Turku, FIN

I can't get my new nl 1.7.1 cart to work with my fresh GBA SP. It goes to the Game Boy starting screen, so it recognises that this is a GB cart, but the nintendo logo is all black and nothing else happens.

Trying to push it or wobble it otherways does not seem to help.

Abandoned on Fire

Coming back to this topic to say my nanoloop one cart is now working just fine on gameboy player. Not sure what I did differently but hey its all good!  smile