Brighton, England

Posting this here as well as the tutorials section as I had no luck there?

I messed up a paint job using some Montana Gold orange spray paint and need to remove it so I can try again. What products can I use for this that won't damage the plastic? Product needs to be available in the UK, and needs to remove paint in small area like the little indents in the battery area. Thanks!

Medina, Ohio

Not to be acting like a smartass, but can't you just sand it a bit and paint over it?

Brighton, England
dsv101 wrote:

Not to be acting like a smartass, but can't you just sand it a bit and paint over it?

Nothing smartassy about that, sandpaper is definitely a good idea, but I don't know if it'll get between those smaller gaps. If it would, then it's a perfect solution!

Medina, Ohio

You can fold the sandpaper in half to fit it in the cracks and stuff, but unless you put on a real thick mess, you should be fine to just do a quick sanding especially if you are doing the same color.

Last edited by dsv101 (Aug 5, 2014 1:31 am)

Brighton, England

Right, I'll just use sand paper then, thanks. When repainting, will I need to apply anything beforehand, or can I just go right into it? I know now to apply a clear coat afterwards, which I didn't do originally.

Medina, Ohio

I've heard of using a spray adhesive beforehand to give the paint a better bond, but I've never found it necessary. Just make sure you sand any clumps or fingerprints out to where its decently smooth. Wait for it to dry all the way before adding clearcoat, it tends to work the best that way.

Brighton, England

Thanks for the help! One last question: when it comes to clear coats, I've heard it's best to use the same brand as the paint, but Montana doesn't seem to have a clear coat. Would it be fine to just use another brand?

Medina, Ohio

That's just because you want the same type of paint, and using the same brand is the easiest way to do that. I believe Montana Gold is acrylic lacquer so I'd recommend any acrylic lacquer clear coat, preferably Rustoleum because that's what I always work with and it does the job.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always understood about the subject.

Brighton, England

This is what I was going to buy, seems to fit what you're saying perfectly. If that's good, then I'm about out of questions, thanks for the help big_smile