Minneapolis

It is possible to do it without totally knackering up the screen, but it requires specialized tools once it's cured, not just LOCA remover. I've seen Youtube videos of some Chinese madboys who designed a contraption that looks like a cross between a bandsaw and a cheese wire that is supposed to cut through the bond between the two pieces, and once apart they can be cleaned. They do this to salvage iPhone displays that have bubbles from the factory and would otherwise be thrown out.

IMO, not worth it. tongue

I'm moving next week, and don't have a new workshop space planned out yet, but I'd like to try this, but with a vacuum chamber to make the bubble removal easier.

matt's mind

i picked up a cheapo desiccation chamber for this very purpose tongue  if i get a chance soon, will post results!  not worth it, at all, for the one-time mod, but perhaps for the modding shop people out there...

Minneapolis
kitsch wrote:

i picked up a cheapo desiccation chamber for this very purpose tongue  if i get a chance soon, will post results!  not worth it, at all, for the one-time mod, but perhaps for the modding shop people out there...

Whoah, nice! And here I was pondering just some slight negative pressure, maybe a medium-size tupperware and a Harbor Fright vacuum pump, but that sounds pretty legit.

Thanks for the quick responses!  Seems like too much trouble for me to mess around with it anymore, I can live with it.  I'm probably going to order a few more anyways because this is so fun, I just have to be a little more careful. Expect another order sometime soon kitsch!

Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil

@Koji-Kendo, sent you a pm about the modding smile

Anyone ever had this happen?

I used loca (amazon), and it looked great the first few days. After a week the crap on the bottom showed up. It is between the frontlight and the lcd. I couldn't clean it off the front or anything.

mesmer wrote:

I used loca (amazon), and it looked great the first few days. After a week the crap on the bottom showed up. It is between the frontlight and the lcd. I couldn't clean it off the front or anything.

Yeah, that's what happens when there is too much pressure at a certain point (usually the bottom corners), in this case, along the bottom of the lcd.
Something is pushing too hard against that area.

Questions:
Did you remove the foam off the back of the lcd?
Is there anything that you can identify that is there either right where that spot rests in front of or in back of the light panel/lcd?

I think it could be that the wires should go straight out to the sides, rather than resting on the ribbon cable, or that inside the shell case, the corners need to be trimmed down a little to alleviate some undue stress which is occurring.

Other than that, I would recommend removing the top 2 prongs on the metal shielding to also possibly help alleviate some pressure.

If those pressure marks don't go away in a few days, it will pretty much stay that way, unless you try prying the light panel off gently and reapplying the loca. (or use loca remover...that, I have NOT done)
I have pried one off successfully which had some stretch marks (weak, poor quality loca) then re-applied some top-notch stuff and it worked pretty darn well.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Oct 27, 2014 7:31 am)

matt's mind

i've seen this happening when doing some research on loca a while back (how its applied in different applications), and that website said this type of issue can be due to two things.  poor quality loca which holds poorly, or the loca wasn't actually cured all the way.  or a combo of both I'd suppose

edit - don't remember the website, but the effect totally looks like that.  in their example, it was around all the edges, kind of crystalline looking tbh

Kansas City

Has anyone attempted to put some kind of anti-reflective material on the front-light? I just modded  one of mine and the screen is hazy, it has bands across it, and the colors are terribly washed out but all of this was expected. I was just hoping the LOCA would alleviate some of it.

MidnightAbyss wrote:

Has anyone attempted to put some kind of anti-reflective material on the front-light? I just modded  one of mine and the screen is hazy, it has bands across it, and the colors are terribly washed out but all of this was expected. I was just hoping the LOCA would alleviate some of it.

What kind of loca did you use?

matt's mind
MidnightAbyss wrote:

ditto above, what type of loca did you use?  this isn't the result you should expect with the advanced install, at all.

Kansas City

You know what... It was the cheap stuff. Got it off eBay. I'll try to find some of the LOCA you named above and repeat. For some reason I was under the impression it wouldn't make a big difference. I will report back with my results.

Last edited by MidnightAbyss (Oct 28, 2014 9:05 pm)

Koji-Kendo wrote:
thursdaycustoms wrote:

This is very relevant to my interests(job). When the Loca cures does it actually glue the front-light to the LCD or would it just pull right up? I'm very fond of the SP method(except for the fact that I'm using an SP) because I install them horizontally after I cut the panels and it always looks great. It's difficult to see from the pictures but do you think this would be better than a top notch SP front-light install?

a personal collection of each of the main mods:
The standard SP mod, the corrected and this new one.

In my personal collection, I have those three in addition to a red led front-lit cgb (which I called "virtual boy color", an SP light panel front-lit loca'd with a white, dmg back-light panel (like mentioned before, clearer and brighter, but with faint pillars of light).
I've tried lots of light panels. NDS, DS Lite, DSi and such in my ongoing experiments, with mixed and mostly disappointing results.

Hello I am new to this fourm and I would like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for you guys you guys have taught me so much I have been struggling for MONTHS on the SP front light mod trying to get it horizontal, cutting it, putting electrical tape to hide the light leakage (have clear purple GBC) and I have broke 3 GBC's and 5 SP's.....

I almost gave up until I found out about a youtube video that said GBC Frontlight NO SP, so I was amazed but in the end disappointed after seeing how blurry and bright the picture was BUT then I found out about this fourm and you talking about this Loca stuff and now I think I may just do this method and save my life, time and money on this method, but I wanted to ask you something! You say you have 3 different versions of your GBC's one with the standard sp mod, the horizontal one (assuming thats what you mean by "corrected") and this Loca mod with the fitted screen that you order online.

Can you PLEASE show us the differences between all of them? maybe multiple pictures of each one, Im just not sure if I want to do it this way or not.

Thank you!

Koji-Kendo wrote:

Yeah, that's what happens when there is too much pressure at a certain point (usually the bottom corners), in this case, along the bottom of the lcd.

Questions:
Is there anything that you can identify that is there either right where that spot rests in front of or in back of the light panel/lcd?

I think it could be that the wires should go straight out to the sides, rather than resting on the ribbon cable, or that inside the shell case, the corners need to be trimmed down a little to alleviate some undue stress which is occurring.

I removed the foam completely. Also, I cut the notches for the wires to exit at the bottom and go around the sides. I don't think there is much pressure in the area.

kitsch wrote:

i've seen this happening when doing some research on loca a while back (how its applied in different applications), and that website said this type of issue can be due to two things.  poor quality loca which holds poorly, or the loca wasn't actually cured all the way.  or a combo of both I'd suppose

edit - don't remember the website, but the effect totally looks like that.  in their example, it was around all the edges, kind of crystalline looking tbh

I imagine it is one or both of these. I got the cheap loca from amazon I linked above. I cured in the direct sunlight, outside for about 10 min.

mesmer wrote:

After further review, I think that the light panel has been set too high and that the lcd module was sitting too low in the shell case.
Inside the front shell case where the lcd sits, there is a rounded, raised bump.
That would explain the where the extra pressure was coming from.
It's the only thing I can think of that would cause that to occur at the bottom.

A fix for that would be to cut down that raised, plastic bump.
(If it's not already too late.)

What do you think..?

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Nov 1, 2014 3:41 pm)

matt's mind
mesmer wrote:
Koji-Kendo wrote:

Questions:

I removed the foam completely. Also, I cut the notches for the wires to exit at the bottom and go around the sides. I don't think there is much pressure in the area.

kitsch wrote:

I imagine it is one or both of these. I got the cheap loca from amazon I linked above. I cured in the direct sunlight, outside for about 10 min.

i can't imagine 10 minutes in the sunlight is long enough to cure, did the instructions tell you this?  that seems a bit quick.  under UV lamps, perhaps...