I saw this project Nex made where he puts a super game boy(I think) inside of a VHS tape. The result is a very cool/odd capture card. Does anyone know of a guide for this? I am interested in making one of these for sure. Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Here is a link for reference VHS Capture Card

South UK

How I think it works:-

In the case is the main board of a SNES, With a Super Gameboy connected up - the SNES outputs connect to the TV.

The cable coming out of the DMG pulls the signals from the CPU to the LCD (pins 50-57 according to http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/DMG_Schematics), then goes onto the Super Gameboys PCB traces for the equivalent, while the legs are cut from the SGB CPU.

So when the SNES is powered with no game in the SGB, the SGB would normally display the black bar, but this would make it output a copy of the DMG screen. There would be no audio out of the case - but youve got prosound anyway, right?

Thats how it seems to me atleast.

Last edited by Category (Aug 19, 2014 11:19 pm)

I thought that was how it worked, but I had no idea what pins it was, would it also be pins 50-57 on the DMG? I am planning on having a switch that connects the pins back to the board, but I'm not sure how I would do that with so many pins. This really doesn't look all that complicated, I can definitely pull this off. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help so far Category.

South UK

I meant pins 50-57 on the DMG. I believe it would be the same on the SGB - as far as I'm aware, the internals of an SGB are the same as a DMG, just without buttons or screen. I could be wrong there though, I've never taken an SGB apart.

In that version, I don't think the pins have been cut on the DMG at all, as the screen is outputting the same as the TV.

im trying to do this but i can't fit the vhs into my gamecube?

South UK
defPREMIUM wrote:

I may have had too much coffee, but what? The VHS tape is just the case on this guys project. I'm confused now.

UK, Leicester
Category wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

I may have had too much coffee, but what? The VHS tape is just the case on this guys project. I'm confused now.

he's just fucking with you dude

srry im mean, mostly im just jealous bc this sounds like a really cool project which i dont have the means to try, hehe.  be sure and post pics guys if any of you do it   :3

South UK
Alpine wrote:
Category wrote:

he's just fucking with you dude

Too much coffee then!

I wasn't thinking about this, but might be a fun project if I get a SuperFamiclone and a cheap SGB...

Category wrote:

I meant pins 50-57 on the DMG. I believe it would be the same on the SGB - as far as I'm aware, the internals of an SGB are the same as a DMG, just without buttons or screen. I could be wrong there though, I've never taken an SGB apart.

In that version, I don't think the pins have been cut on the DMG at all, as the screen is outputting the same as the TV.

Sorry, I guess my post was a little ambiguous.

I'm assuming that pins 50-57 are lifted off of the SGB, and that is how the video is going into the SGB. Because the SGB is trying to get the black bar screen from the SGB hardware, but instead gets video input from the GB.

So I would like to put a switch in the SGB that essentially switches between GB input and regular SGB input. This switch would be inside the SGB and would be connected to those 7 pins. However, I'm not aware of a switch that can handle 14 connections. So any advice on how to do this would be awesome.

Also, it is odd that the SGB retains color pallets. I'm thinking he might have some more pins hooked up, unless he just gets stuck with the one pallet, and each game doesn't have it's default pallet. I can't really tell.

[double post]

Last edited by doctorly (Aug 20, 2014 2:49 pm)

South UK

The way I see it, the pins on the SGB are cut - the pins on the DMG have the signal split off onto the SGB traces. That way the DMG & SGB both display the same thing.

The SGB would lose the custom palettes/borders, as the cart is read from the DMG - however, you would still be able to change the TV palette by keeping a controller plugged into the SNES (using button combos as standard)

Having an 8 way switch though, seems almost pointless - unless you still want to use the SGB separately. In which case there would be no custom case. And the only way I can think of to easily do an 8 way switch is using a microcontroller.

But then I am a bit of a noob, there could be an obvious idea I'm missing.

---

Alternatively, you could put the guts of a SNES controller into a DMG, then run the SGB as normal with LSDJ or whatever - but then its not really a video out, just a different controller. And the DMG would not show the same on-screen info

Last edited by Category (Aug 20, 2014 9:11 pm)