Noosa,QLD,Australia

Hey everyone I just started making Chiptunes and this is my first song worth releasing. smile  I don't care if you hate it, please just give your opinion and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/mosster_3/the-lo … host-story

-Peace out,Mosster_3. tongue

Last edited by Mosster_3 (Aug 24, 2014 5:40 am)

I like how this has structure and progression to it, and that it clearly tells a story.  I feel it would benefit from building more slowly than it does, especially towards the start, and the whole piece almost feels a bit rushed. Your sound design has a 'hollow' feel to me; in a way this is fitting; in another way, I'd like to have a sense of a bit more background or context behind the characters/voices.  The instrumentation doesn't have an especially 'chip' feel to me, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and might simply be because I'm most familiar with the sound of LSDJ, and this doesn't sound like LSDJ to me.  I'd also like to know a bit more about your production, and I feel that this is something that the chip music community in general often appreciates.

I realize this has ended up being quite an abstract criticism; I hope it's helpful.

Melbourne, Australia

I agree with rvan in that it didn't sound particularly chip to me, probably because I'm so used to LSDJ as well... tongue What did you use to make it?!
This is pretty good! However, I found it hard to distinguish the different parts, I mean, towards the beginning the melody and the bass clashed a little bit, but that might have been what you are after.
One other thing is that it was quite monotonous, which is cool in it's own way, but it probably wouldn't hurt to add in a few fills and extra little hooks and things just to keep people listening. Apart from that, this is cool! Keep it up. smile

Noosa,QLD,Australia

Thanks Guys! I now know what i need to do and what i need to not do which is great. To make it i used FL studio (because i come from house music) and a bunch of plugins, mainly Bleep' and 38911bytes (original yellow version). I do have an original Gameboy but I don't have LSDJ or nanoloop. And I see your from Australia too Panda Chan tongue , good to know there's locals around that do this stuff as well. But which one do you think I should get LSDJ or nanoloop, I have a fair bit of experience with nanoloop and squat with LSDJ.

-Peace out, Mosster_3 wink

Melbourne, Australia

Haha "local"... well, I'm still pretty far away tongue but there are heaps of guys on the mainland doing this stuff man!
As for LSDJ or Nanoloop, depends what you want really. I personally find it a lot easier to use LSDJ musically, although I haven't had too much experience with Nanoloop... Nanoloop is pretty cool for jamming though! So, all depends what you want really tongue and what's more accessible.

Melbourne, Australia

I would maybe add some variation, particularly in your bass synth. Maybe give it some different progressions rather then it's normal 'up, then down' repetition. Also perhaps consider some sort of bridge section towards the end to break things up a bit.

Nice work with the wobbly lead melodies making it feel 'ghostly'.
Also greetz from Melbourne smile

I agree about changing up the bass a little,  it gets kind of repetetive.

Mosster_3 wrote:

But which one do you think I should get LSDJ or nanoloop, I have a fair bit of experience with nanoloop and squat with LSDJ.

I have both; they really suit different styles of play / composition.  I find the LSDJ interface very nice to use, but with nanoloop I have to keep checking the manual (and I was coming to LSDJ without having used other trackers).  If you have a flashcart already, there's really no harm in getting LSDJ, as the software is very cheap.  If not, a flash cart is probably a good investment.  I should also point out that while LSDJ is a pleasure to use on the real hardware, I've never enjoyed it as much on an emulator on a PC thanks to the controls.

Noosa,QLD,Australia

Thanks for all the reply's guys! big_smile I love the community on this forum, It's so active, and sorry it took me awhile to reply, School sucks sad . I'll think about nanoloop and LSDJ some-more and make a decision soon smile

-Peace out, Mosster_3 wink