Whoops, I just heard someone talk about groovebox and I got too excited, haha. Looks like you were more talking about an actual synth instead of a complex sequencer here

Considering synths, I'm all about super small, portable, and battery powered for sure. 1/4" out if it's mono, too. For pots/sliders, obviously something to change the waveform and maybe a vibrato knob. Since it's in mono, a knob to control glide amount would be kinda rad. Buttons to switch the octave. If you throw in an arpeggiator, I'd love a tap tempo. Of course this means that the unit now needs to have some sense of time and BPM. And if there now is some sense of time, sync in/out would be amazing. If you aren't interested in doing a MIDI sync, consider using a CV Gate. The synth would just have to send out a short pulse blip on each quarter note for the Sync Out and accept a similar signal for the Sync In.

...I mean what I essentially just described was a NES version of Korg VolcaKeys/Bass...

imagine a casiotone keybaord but you could load mod files onto it and it would use patterns from the mod files as the autoaccompaniment and repitch the mod files based on the chords you were playing on the keys while you noodled over  the top

*dream*

IL, US
Kool Skull wrote:

nes is only capable of very weak sounding blips and reqlly whimpy noise channel sounds.

i call bullshit
this is all midines
https://datathrash.bandcamp.com/track/o … an-version

Last edited by e.s.c. (Aug 28, 2014 5:42 pm)

Lexington, KY

A box with a tracker interface instead of knobs or buttons.

Amirite folks?

No, but really, that would be amazing.

Netherlands
an0va wrote:

...I mean what I essentially just described was a NES version of Korg VolcaKeys/Bass...

Love the idea I was indeed toying with a minimalistic modular approach (split functionality like bass, rhythm, melody and chords) and make basic synths that deliver in that specific area and are interconnectable.

P.s. :I own a Korg Volca beats and I love it

Netherlands
sandneil wrote:

imagine a casiotone keybaord but you could load mod files onto it and it would use patterns from the mod files as the autoaccompaniment and repitch the mod files based on the chords you were playing on the keys while you noodled over  the top

*dream*

Like the idea but when someone proposes a instrument like that I always think of it like a magical music box that does no allow for a lot of tweaking of backing tracks. Having said this I did create and programed software that was able to recognize patterns and I am still toying with the idea to use it for live accompaniment, amongst other things.

well my idea was that the mod files would be the backing tracks & so that would be tweakable because you can edit them on  your pc but its a bit of a dream really & also you are the one making the thing not me so do w/e

kind bored of arduino shields that make a noise when you plug stuff into them though
interface is such a big deal in music creating and sound is kind of not really a big deal at the end of the day

Netherlands
e.s.c. wrote:
Kool Skull wrote:

nes is only capable of very weak sounding blips and reqlly whimpy noise channel sounds.

i call bullshit
this is all midines
https://datathrash.bandcamp.com/track/o … an-version

This is exactly how I would have imagined chiptune death metal, minus the voice samples

Netherlands
sandneil wrote:

well my idea was that the mod files would be the backing tracks & so that would be tweakable because you can edit them on  your pc but its a bit of a dream really & also you are the one making the thing not me so do w/e

kind bored of arduino shields that make a noise when you plug stuff into them though
interface is such a big deal in music creating and sound is kind of not really a big deal at the end of the day

Quite a realistic dream really. Just side tracking my own thread just on this subject tongue how would you imagine playing something like that live. Like a rigid precise exercise or more of an emphasis on (limited) improvisation)

just like any casiotone or yamaha keyboard with autoaccompaniment really when you are playing live
but the patterns are things you made as .mods earlier and loaded them on

Amigaland

I would request an option to have a constantly changing PW. for that sweet sweet chip sound.

IL, US

yeah, pwm with variable speed would be good for sure

Melbourne, Australia

To be honest, I really wouldn't mind a synth, even if it wasn't a chiptune based sound, that could have it's parameters automated by a table, like in trackers... That would just be rad to me.

Or a SID inspired synth, like a cheap, more producable sammichSID or SIDstation.

San Francisco
Xephyr wrote:

I would request an option to have a constantly changing PW. for that sweet sweet chip sound.

unfortunately due to hardware limitations there are only 4 stages of pw available for the the pulse channels of the 2a03 chip. its the same as a game boy's pulse channels. a limited choppy one with an lfo or envelope like i suggested earlier shifting through the 4 duty cycles is about as good as you can get really.

There are methods of manipulation that can be employed by taking advantage of some clicks caused by writing commands to the chip at a high rate. if done at regular highspeed intervals it will begin to make a tone that with alternating intervals can make a PMW type sounds. It has to be extremely fast tho and would be really intensive to control. x|k used this method in some of his old tracks before he disappeared. I havent really seen it implemented since.

Solarbear wrote:

A box with a tracker interface instead of knobs or buttons.

Amirite folks?

No, but really, that would be amazing.

and how would you even interface with that tracker with out any knobs or buttons? touch screen? there are already trackers for that on android, iphone, and tablets. do those not count? I am assuming we haven't reached the point where we control our technology with our minds yet. voice command perhaps?

Panda Chan wrote:

To be honest, I really wouldn't mind a synth, even if it wasn't a chiptune based sound, that could have it's parameters automated by a table, like in trackers... That would just be rad to me.

Or a SID inspired synth, like a cheap, more producable sammichSID or SIDstation.

would be into this.

Last edited by wedanced (Aug 29, 2014 10:35 am)

Lexington, KY
wedanced wrote:

there are already trackers for that on android, iphone, and tablets. do those not count?

Well, nevermind then. For some reason I didn't even think to look there, haha.