Hastings, UK

I'm looking at playing around with making music on the C64 and Cynthcart seems like the simplest way. I would really like it if there was a way i could ad an audio jack into the C64 to and connect it straight into my mixer?
Forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Thanks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The existing audio output uses an RCA jack, can you not plug this into your mixer? You could just get an RCA -> 1/4" adaptor or something similar.

Hastings, UK

oh brilliant, i had no idea.
would i need a screen at all or can i play it blind?

Manchester, UK

Hi,

I'm afraid the C64 doesn't have an audio out jack, it has either a 5 or 8 pin DIN (depending on the model) which puts out various signals for audio and video, and it has an RF out for TV and audio signal. You could get a modified cable that can split the audio and video. I recommend the RetroComputerShack eBay shop and one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore-C16 … 3a65836a95

You could use this with or without the TV as you can play cynthcart without a screen.

The alternative would be to add an audio out jack to the back of your C64 like I have done with mine. I have two and another SID installed. I prefer this method as it's neater. It's not too tricky if you can do some basic soldering and the parts only cost a couple of quid.

Last edited by ChipCzuk (Sep 10, 2014 12:13 pm)

Świdnica, Poland

Please take a look a this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p … C3Iw#t=321

It's just two solder points, or three, if you want to add video output.

Instead of RCA (chinch) you may use a jack.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ChipCzuk wrote:

Hi,

I'm afraid the C64 doesn't have an audio out jack, it has either a 5 or 8 pin DIN (depending on the model) which puts out various signals for audio and video, and it has an RF out for TV and audio signal. You could get a modified cable that can split the audio and video. I recommend the RetroComputerShack eBay shop and one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore-C16 … 3a65836a95

You could use this with or without the TV as you can play cynthcart without a screen.

The alternative would be to add an audio out jack to the back of your C64 like I have done with mine. I have two and another SID installed. I prefer this method as it's neater. It's not too tricky if you can do some basic soldering and the parts only cost a couple of quid.

The C64 does have audio out on that DIN port. You can either splice your own cable or grab one online. They're extremely common as they were used for connecting to the various Commodore monitors.

Of course, you could also add an audio jack directly onto the body of the computer but it's not much added convenience. It's more personal preference.

Manchester, UK

Hi Jeff,

Yes, there is an audio output on that DIN but I think the OP was asking if there was an actual audio jack on the C64 itself and even though there is an RCA RF port which looks like you may be able to take an RCA to 1/4 inch adapter, I don't think that it would put audio into a mixer, although I have not tried this. The splicing you mentioned is a good way to do it depending on the setup. I find that since fitting an audio jack (or two) to my C64 it adds a lot of convenience for me personally, as I use the video out port with a scart cable to send both video and audio to my TV whilst I can just take 1/4 inch  audio cables straight to my mixer. For the sake of a fiver the cable I added a link to would be a quick, cheap and easy way to do what the OP is after, without the need for any soldering and modifying, and would work with or without a TV.

Alex.