Yes, another EMS instalation thread, sorry chaps tongue.

My backpack got stolen after a gig this weekend, including a Drag n Derp and an EMS (http://www.sadtrombone.com/). All in all about 300 euros worth of gear, because luckily I don't use any Korgs, pedals, laptops, or anything. So as far as a performer/musician getting robbed goes, I'm on the luckier side.

I have some spare time on my hands right now, so I'm getting my two spare EMS carts from 2012 set up.

I've used 2xaa's tutorial for the EMS installation. That video is great, I've been doing that installation wrong for months and months on end.
At this point, I'm pretty close to actually flashing those empty carts tongue

I have a few questions still, because it's soooo close, but not yet working.

1) Are the EMS drivers, linked on Kitsch' site the most recent ones?
They're from 2010, and 2010 forums talk about upgrading a lot. I can't find any newer EMS systems.

2) Does the error code give any real info?
Transferring works, until the load bar is 99% Green, the device is disconnected, and an Error Code 31 appears. http://gbatemp.net/threads/ems-gb-usb-s … em.318543/ mentions the possibilities, but with all those options, I don't think you need another error code.

3) Does Test Mode have to be active to install the drivers AND use BG_USB, or only to install the drivers?
If I disable test mode with dseo13b and restart the pc, BG_USB won't find any connected devices. The Link Cable will show in Device Manager (with a yellow alert sign) , but not in my system tray icons, and BG_USB will show "device disconnected".

4) Is cable size still an issue?
The hubs and the giant cable are bugging me.

Extra info: I have a 64 bit, WIN7, with nvidia, and ASUS, all my usb ports are hubs.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Last edited by Jotie (Sep 15, 2014 6:34 pm)

matt's mind

use a non-hubbed USB port, for starters.  hubs cause all sorts of issues.  plug in directly.  that jumps out at me...

I'm mailing my pc's factory.
It doesn't have any non-HUB USB's, they're all built in, and are all called something like "USB#0001HUB#00004"

I hope I can open the case and find one under the hood or something :]
Also, ordered a small cable, retailer was kind of confused: "most people want them as large as possible?"

Last edited by Jotie (Sep 15, 2014 7:03 pm)

Playboy Man-Baby

That's incredibly shitty, though. Just losing a Drag n' Derp would kill me.

Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

That's incredibly shitty, though. Just losing a Drag n' Derp would kill me.

Yeah, last back up isn't that  recent, but okay. The EMS cart has got "gone forever" tracks, though.

Update: Reactiving test mode. Pc restarts. I plug in the EMS. PC searches for drivers, and has to reinstall them (?).
It does find the drivers and installs them automatically, though.

Open BG_USB, and it says LSDJ is on the cart; but all previous flashes failed last millisecond, so I'm skeptical.

Plug it out, into the DMG, and no nintendo startup sing. Switching cart sides does nothing.

Plugged back into the pc, and BG_USB doesn't see LSDJ on the cart anymore.

Writing works a couple of times, without actually landing anything, but ends up disconnecting the device after a few times.
So close I can taste it sad

Last edited by Jotie (Sep 16, 2014 5:18 am)