Michigan

My gameboy doesn't like playing drum kits on the wav channel with any other channel. When it does, it plays a high pitched buzz along with the drum sound. Here's an example. Starts around ten seconds in.

https://soundcloud.com/powersupply-1/weird-buzzing
(Track isn't mine, it's the J Arthur Keenes Band song Water2(Wetter) being played on my gameboy.)

It sounds like this from my prosound 1/8" jack, the stock headphone jack, and the gameboy speaker. When playing only the wav channel it does not happen on headphones, but the gameboy speaker still plays it. This has happened on two separate DMGs, but not on a color. Also doesn't happen in an emulator. Could something be wrong with my cartridge? (using an EMS smart card.)

Can this be fixed? Is it normal?

Last edited by powersupply (Sep 27, 2014 6:40 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

If this happens on a DMG you are (at least as far as my research is concerned so far) probably out of luck.
I would like to ask you to do something, though. Could you give me the serial number and motherboard revision of the respective DMG? You can find the motherboard revision if you look into the hole where the battery lid latch attaches.

Michigan

Sure. G03371410
Dmg-cpu-02

Washington, PA

I'm at work at the moment, so I can't actually check out what the noise is, but I've noticed that the WAV kits get a little scratchy-sounding and lose a bit of bass response whenever the pulse channel plays on both my Pocket and Color.